• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Reduced item creation costs - any issues?

Runestar

First Post
Adventurer's Vault has this new item called the ritualist ring, which halves item creation costs. One little issue is that item creation rituals are, as their name suggests, also rituals, so this suggests that said item does effectively allow you to craft magic eq at 1/2 price.

While mulling over whether this was problematic or not, I found another new dragon article up here.

Epic Faerun.
Epic Faerun

The elven high mage also has an ability at lv21 which lets him perform rituals at 1/2 price.

So this does not appear to be an isolated case. Any issues with allowing magic eq to be available at half the normal price?

How would the 2 abilities interact with each other? Still only 1/2 price, or 1/4 price (1/2 of 1/2?).

Or am I overlooking some kink in the rules which makes this moot? :p

Last edited:

aurance

Explorer
First, my totally unsubstantiated feeling is that the designers did not intend to include item creation in the reduced costs.

However, consider that by level 10 or so, the PCs will probably have most or all of their item slots filled anyway. And they are still level-limited in what they can create. So the effects of these abilities may not be quite as drastic as they seem at first glance.

In any case, I wouldn't allow the abilities to stack.

NMcCoy

Explorer
In general, you're finding better stuff than you'll be able to create for the next four levels, and item creation is most useful for rounding out unoccupied equipment slots - you probably won't get anything game-breakingly powerful out of it.

That said, I agree that it was likely not the intent that it reduce enchantment costs.

MrBeens

First Post
Just with regards to the ring - it is level 24, so the earliest the players are going to get it unless you give it out as treasure is level 24. Then you only get the half price item creation thing if you have reached a milestone.
I don't think it's a problem.

It's easy enough to house rule that it doesn't work for enchanting though.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads