• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ravnica: Is This The New D&D Setting? [UPDATED & CONFIRMED!]

If so... meh?

Xavian Starsider

First Post
While I'm not against using D&D to fill out M:tG settings (Ravnica sounds interesting!), shouldn't they be concentrating on other D&D settings first?

Why? They haven't even done a campaign setting for the Realms. You know why? Because we have campaign guides for it and so many others already. The fluff is just as fluffy as before. If they are going to do a setting guide, why not give us something we don't have 2-4 previous versions of?

neogod22

Explorer
You may know what is in this book, but that does not speak as to whether there is other setting support on the way.
This is the 3rd book announced for this year to come out, not to mention MToF which already came out. They have been busy. What's coming out next year is anyone's guess as of now, but there will probably be another player supplement in the spring, a new campaign in the spring and one in the fall. This has pretty much been their formula. While they are making player supplements world neutral, the campaigns for the most part have been in the FR setting with AL mirroring the current campaign. Any new setting they come out with, will probably be a one off book around the same timeframe as this one. They may bring one out next summer also, but I don't see them interfering with the living world of FR.

Why? They haven't even done a campaign setting for the Realms. You know why? Because we have campaign guides for it and so many others already. The fluff is just as fluffy as before. If they are going to do a setting guide, why not give us something we don't have 2-4 previous versions of?

That's true for Eberron, and to a point Greyhawk, but for the Realms, the fluff's been torn apart, aged, and put back together in a form we're not quite sure of since the last time we saw it (and twice for all those from the last time we saw it in detail).

Last edited by a moderator:

Ratskinner

Adventurer
As for people wondering about working Planeswalker or "color magic" mechanics into the book... Why? I mean, maybe they're going to, but it's not remotely necessary. It is certainly possible--and I very much hope--that this is "Ravnica as D&D setting," as opposed to "Magic: the Gathering in D&D." If that's so, it would be about building the setting so it's thematically the same, but mechanically works around D&D rules, not M:tG rules.

If that's what they've chosen to do, I'd buy this in a heartbeat, for all that I might have preferred something else.

There was a discussion about MtG magic and D&D awhile back. After careful consideration, I think color should replace/modify alignment.

In this case, you might go one further and have guild replace alignment.

I must also add that I can't comprehend the resent about a new setting. Just makes no sense at all to me. Is way rather have a new thing than an old one rehashed, especially with the old ones on off.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
There's no way they're doing a fifth hardcover this year, let alone three books in a single month. Anything else is going to be small PDFs, likely adventures, or a half-tested Unearthed Arcana.

You may be correct. Or not. No need to get upset *in advance* - plenty of time for that later.

There was a discussion about MtG magic and D&D awhile back. After careful consideration, I think color should replace/modify alignment.

In this case, you might go one further and have guild replace alignment.
You make two very good points. Color is very much like Magic's equivalent of alignment - although it seems probable that it would have more mechanical implications than WotC has been trying to give alignment lately. But also, now that I think about it, wasn't the in-universe understanding of the colors in Ravnica kind of weak because it was distorted by the guild system? I wouldn't have the guilds replace alignment - they're more like factions, being actual concrete organizations - but they certainly replace how Ravnicans might think about alignment, if I'm recalling correctly.

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
Same here!

The question is now whether it's going to just be DMs Guild and PDF support for Eberron, or whether there's going to be an actual published book (presumably in the style of the Ravnica book) also announced (presumably for next year).

Yup. We'll know soon enough.

Oh and one more thing on the getting disappointed etc. We knew that they were going to release 2-3 settings. The odds of *all* of them being settings you liked/wanted/are intrigued are... low. It's almost certain to have at least one being "meh". Honestly, if 1/3 is one you really like, I would call that a win.

(note: this is "generic you", not anyone in particular)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
You make two very good points. Color is very much like Magic's equivalent of alignment - although it seems probable that it would have more mechanical implications than WotC has been trying to give alignment lately. But also, now that I think about it, wasn't the in-universe understanding of the colors in Ravnica kind of weak because it was distorted by the guild system? I wouldn't have the guilds replace alignment - they're more like factions, being actual concrete organizations - but they certainly replace how Ravnicans might think about alignment, if I'm recalling correctly.
I think it might be the other way around - a character’s alignment would impact their opinions of the guilds. For example, you probably don’t see a lot of Chaotic Azorius members, or Lawful Gruul. Evil characters are probably drawn more towards Rakdos than Selesnya, and Good characters more towards Boros than Dimir.

Now, I’m not especially knowledgeable about Ravniva lore, particularly after Return to Ravnica. But at least in the original block, House Dimir was was considered by most of the Ravnican public to be a myth or unsubstantiated conspiracy theory. So that would make 9 publicly recognized guilds and 9 alignments, with Dimir as an unknown quantity (just the way they like it)

What would the best firs be? I’m thinking...
Boros: Lawful Good
Selesnya: Neutral Good
Gruul: Chaotic Good
Azorius: Lawful Neutral
Simic: Neutral
Izzet: Chaotic Neutral
Orzhov: Lawful Evil
Golgari: Neutral Evil
Rakdos: Chaotic Evil

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex