• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[rant] Anyone else getting this?

Harmon

First Post
As of late I have been getting calls that are recorded Spanish speaking solicitors on my cell phone.

The recording ends and once in a while a person picks up, and is obviously trying to make a sale, but neither of us speak the same language, I have attempted to get them to remove me from their call list but to no avail.

I have come to the conclusion that keeping them on the line might eventually get something done (namely get my name off their list) and also it will keep someone else from getting a call while I am on the line with them.

Last night I got another call from them so I decided to call them back cause the guy was kinda rude, the message I got said something about me being unable to make an International call as dialed. WT Frak? So I called my carrier and asked about getting international calls blocked, but they can not do so- incoming calls are not charged so they can not be blocked. Okay. So I contacted the do not call list (www.donotcall.gov) and placed a couple phone numbers on it (wife's, mine, and did the house phone again).

Its my thought that I will call my carrier with every single one of these calls in the future, as I fear the old solicitors trick of transferring to an international number and cranking up the charges. Eventually the carrier might get the idea that they need to do something.

In any case it's annoying me, because I hate phone solicitors so much.

I'd like to know if anyone else is having similar troubles with these kinds of calls?

Oh, and thanks for the forum to *&^(@ about something like this- I feel better now.

No but I appreciate the link to get my own number off their lists. I have come to especially hate it when it is a recorded telemarketer. I can't even yell at them.

ssampier

First Post
Since used the Donotcall list, we get few telemarketers. At work, however :mad:

However, that doesn't stop the people claiming they are collecting money for the local fire or police station. We usually ask what Sgt or Captain is spearheading the initiative and they hang up.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
ssampier said:
However, that doesn't stop the people claiming they are collecting money for the local fire or police station. We usually ask what Sgt or Captain is spearheading the initiative and they hang up.
Those calls are the worst because they are so aggressive around here. Do NOT call me and tell me how greatful you are for my donation and ask how much you can put me down for! :mad:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Strangely, even though my family is of Mexican-American, the only telemarketers we get are from Bangladesh.

Next time you get a call just stell them "Yo soy el diablo, voy a matarle*" in a real demonic sounding gravelly voice. Hopefully, if the telemarketer is religious or superstitious they'll stop calling you. If not, then who knows.

*Translation: "I am the devil, I will kill you."

Pbartender

First Post
ssampier said:
Since used the Donotcall list, we get few telemarketers. At work, however :mad:

Kahuna Burger said:
Those calls are the worst because they are so aggressive around here. Do NOT call me and tell me how greatful you are for my donation and ask how much you can put me down for! :mad:

Tell them that you never give donations over the phone due to the possibility of credit card scams and identity theft. Then, ask them to mail you something in writing, and you'll look it over. Any place that's worth sending a donation to won't argue about that.

Jesus_marley

First Post
I haven't gotten any foreign language telemarketer calls but the ones I do get, IMO are probably worse.
I get the pre-approved credit card offers where they won't take no for an answer. well, they will but you have to say no 3 times before they get the message. Now I either say no and hang up or simply hang up depending on my mood.

The other one that really jerks my chain is answering the phone and getting a "please hold" recording. WTF? They can't even be bothered to call me with a person. Now I have to wait for the person who called me to take me off hold. when I get these ones I usually threaten to eat the callers' children.

ssampier

First Post
Pbartender said:
Tell them that you never give donations over the phone due to the possibility of credit card scams and identity theft. Then, ask them to mail you something in writing, and you'll look it over. Any place that's worth sending a donation to won't argue about that.

A great idea. I live in a small town, so I know pretty much everyone involved in the fire and PD stations. If not, I can easily find out. :lol:

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
I don't know about telemarketing but I keep getting this one number that calls my cell phone and speaks very fast in a dialect of Spanish I'm not familiar with. Call at least once a month and I have no idea who they are or what they want but they hang up real quick.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Next time you get a call just stell them "Yo soy el diablo, voy a matarle*" in a real demonic sounding gravelly voice.<snip>

*Translation: "I am the devil, I will kill you."

You could be in trouble if they respond: ¡Hey, jefe, no realicé que éste era su número sin apuntar!*

*Hey, boss, I didn't realize this was your unlisted number!

:cool:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads