• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ransom for Retirement (El Jefe Judging)

Knight Otu

First Post
"Unfortunately, that's about the same story I heard. So you think we should look at that lamplighter closer, Lupic?"

Deos said:
"If no one has anything to add, I suggest we enjoy a sumptuous meal and get to bed early so we can get a head start on things tomorrow."
"I think it might be safer to ask around about the nurse. If we ask about Lily directly, we might alert the culprit.

I don't suppose they serve Sairundan Stormbrew here?
"

buzzard

First Post
Knight Otu said:
"Unfortunately, that's about the same story I heard. So you think we should look at that lamplighter closer, Lupic?"

"Oh, he supposed to light lamps? Oh, nevermind."

buzzard

Knight Otu

First Post
buzzard said:
"Oh, he supposed to light lamps? Oh, nevermind."
"Well, from what I heard, he must be." Semabin shudders "Though it isn't quite comforting for me. Fire is the element of the efreet, the creatures that assaulted Sairundan in ancient times, ending the era of the djinn."

(Semabin's tactic would be, as mentioned earlier, to pose as a friend or acquaintance of the nurse who wanted to meet her again, but cannot find her.)

IcyCool

First Post
SlagMortar said:
OOC: Specifically, what kind of questions will you be asking?

OOC: Deos will ask around about the nurse: when was the last time anyone saw her, where he might go to speak with her, did she have any dealings with Klosterman. He'll also ask around about Klosterman: if he has any friends still in the city, what sort of fellow he was, etc.

SlagMortar

First Post
The nurse is not well known in the area. You run across one person who sells sweets near the school. "She would bring that little Hessen girl by once in awhile after school for a ginger snap or candy cane. I haven't seen her in a couple of days though." The vendor does not seem overly surprised or concerned by that.

When asked about Klosterman, she repeats the rumor that Klosterman intentionally lost the shipment. "He'll never work in this town again."

After some more conversations that net little new information, you happen upon a clerk taking an early lunch. He is amiable to a little company and tells you Klosterman has worked for his company a time or two. "He seemed an alright fellow, but charged a pretty penny. Shame about that Hessen shipment. Whether he was in on it or not, can't hire a man with that kind of suspicion surrounding him can we?"

Knight Otu

First Post
"Do you actually believe Klosterman is guilty?" Semabin asks. "I mean, there is lots of talking of the Now, that's all one hears currently. At best you get the usual 'always suspected that' or 'never trusted him', which isn't necessarily true. Maybe people are just eager for a scapegoat?"

Findlefarb

First Post
Fenwick perked up after what seemed like an eternity. "Maybe they're looking for a scapegoat, maybe they found one before the shipment went missing. Maybe the inside job was deeper than Klosterman, Klosterman was his or her rival, and this was a convenient way to take him out of the picture."

"Then again, I wouldn't take that sitting down. If this is about business, then perhaps we should visit Hessen's competitors. Surely, a caravan of spices is of limited use without a buyer, unless you just want to stop your rival. And in that case, wouldn't you want to buy up your rival's pilfered stock?"

"Do we happen to know more about the contents of the caravan? I'd like to ask Hessen in the morning, and see whether his competitors (Jendath and the V sons) might happen to be well-stocked."

"Or," Fenwick concludes with a wry grin, "There's a group of gourmet bandits on the loose."

SlagMortar

First Post
OOC: [SBLOCK]I'm not sure if Semabin's question was directed at the clerk, or the other party members so I'll answer it anyway. Note that the conversation with the clerk occurs at about 10:30 AM the first day after you were hired. Fenwick's comments seem to be after the conversation with the clerk so I will assume that for now. Let me know if there are more questions for the clerk, or if Findelbarb is expecting the clerk to comment on Fenwick's statements.[/SBLOCK]

IC: The clerk pauses for a moment, "It's not really my job to think, but I think he might have done it. I only met him once, actually just saw him in conversation. Like I said, he was professional and straight forward. He did have a hard look in his eye. Like he was used to getting what he wanted, and might not take it too well if he didn't."

Knight Otu

First Post
(Sorry for the confusion - the question was directed at the clerk, but Semabin is also willing to listen to what his companions think.)

Remove ads