• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Rakshasas

Gilwen

Explorer
Does anyone know of a template or a write for the Rakshasas that allows players to play them as a race kinda like the write ups in Savage Species or the old Savage Progression articles at wizards?

Thanks,

Gil

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Don't know of an official write-up but it shouldn't be too hard to work something up.

Basically aside from the change shape ability they have roughly the same level of power as a cleric of their level. The only place where things might be problematic is the Change Shape ability and the big skillpoints of the Outsider type.

So take their abilities and divide them up evenly through the seven outsider hit dice a Rakshasa would get. Alter the Change Shape ability so that instead of being at will you can only change shape 3 times per day like a dragon so they can't just pretend to be a hundred different people in a day. Reduce the skill points to say four per HD rather than the eight that an outsider gets.

By itself that should make it far less problematical.

HeavenShallBurn

First Post
Yeah, your right I totally forgot about the spell resistance, I usually forget about it when I'm DMing too, probably why I've figured they were pushovers. Toning it back or eliminating it shouldn't be hard. Divide by four thats an SR of 7, still there but not enough to be a complete hassle by 7th level, basically only matters if an NPC caster makes a bad roll. Divide it up into a progression of 2, 5, and 7. SR 2 at first level, SR 5 at fourth level, and SR 7 at seventh level.

zeb.hillard

First Post
Gilwen said:
Does anyone know of a template or a write for the Rakshasas that allows players to play them as a race kinda like the write ups in Savage Species or the old Savage Progression articles at wizards?

Thanks,

Gil

Rakshasha is actually in Savage Species, but I know that book was done at some period during the changeover. IIRC, it's a 11 or 12 level monster class, and they start to increase spell immunuties by level (And skipping several levels) at 4.

saucercrab

Explorer
Like zeb.hillard said, SS already has the 3.0 rakshasa in it, page 191. It's ECL 14 (7HD + 7LA).

I had done a quick 3.5 pencil-over of it previously (if you have access to SS):
  • Remove "vulnerable to blessed crossbow bolts" at 1st level
  • Remove all mentions of spell immunity; starting at 4th level, spell resistance equal to HD +20
  • At 8th level, change damage reduction to 10/good or piercing
  • At 14th level, improve damage reduction to 15/good & piercing
That should update it completely, I think.

GwydapLlew

First Post
zeb.hillard said:
Rakshasha is actually in Savage Species, but I know that book was done at some period during the changeover. IIRC, it's a 11 or 12 level monster class, and they start to increase spell immunuties by level (And skipping several levels) at 4.

Says the guy currently playing a rakshasa out of SS. :D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads