Psionic Attack Modes Supernatural Abilities???

Nathan

First Post
Hello, everyone!

I have just browsed through the new Psionics Handbook Errata. According to it, the Psionic Attack and Defense Modes are supernatural abilities. Using an Attack Mode my trigger an attack of opportunity.

This leaves me a little bit confused:

1) Isn't a supernatural ability one which (generally) does not cause attacks of opportunity, is it?

2) According to the MM the Mindblast of the Mindflayer is a spell-like ability. So the Psions Mindblast seems to be different...

3) As supernatural abilities, the various attack modes won't be subject to spell resistance??? I.e. a Psion's Mindblast is much more powerful the a Mindflayer's one.

What do you think about this topic? Any rule considerations?

Nathan

AGGEMAM

First Post
In core D&D Psionics is considered spell-like abilities, if you use the variant system presented on page 80 of the DMG it is considered extraordinary abilities.

However, if you use the PsHB, it uses a middle-of-the-road variant, in which Psionics Attacks is supernatural abilities.

Supernatural generally doesn't provoke AoO, generally only means that exceptions may exist.

Nathan

First Post
AGGEMAM said:

However, if you use the PsHB, it uses a middle-of-the-road variant, in which Psionics Attacks is supernatural abilities.

So, in a campaign that uses the PsiHB the Mindflayer's Mindblast should be a supernatural ability, right?

What do you think about spell-resistance and Attack Modes?

gfunk

First Post
That seems a bit brutal don't you think? Mid-level Psions and Psychic Warriors can wreck monsters with Mind Blast. Esp if there is no AoO and SR doesn't apply!

Last edited:

According to the PsiH, PR and SR do not apply to Mind Blast and other psionic attack modes, pre- and post-errata. Simple. Besides, why else would I use Mind Blast, instead of Brain Lock?

James McMurray

First Post
gfunk: There are AoOs. Plus a psion can't Mind Blast all day long, and the rest of the modes aren't very useful against non-psions. There's always the "crush factor" as well. Basically, when one character shows themselves to be a major threat (by stunning cones of people, or sneak attacking for +8d6, or fireballing all the minions) they get crushed first.

Gromm

First Post
(Psi)SeveredHead said:
According to the PsiH, PR and SR do not apply to Mind Blast and other psionic attack modes, pre- and post-errata. Simple. Besides, why else would I use Mind Blast, instead of Brain Lock?

Cause it hits a huge cone?

Remove ads