• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Proposed Monk Rules Preview (not house rules)

Well put, DS.

Just imagining this concept, what if "Open Hand Master" was a monk build. His attacks actually do lower damage than a weapon, but he gets to apply some conditions. This could be accomplished via a few new powers, which are things like throws, holds, sweeps, kicks, etc. giving him even more of a controller bent. He could be pretty much a 50/50 striker/controller kind of build right off the bat, and fits quite well with my view of guys like Jackie Chan, who aren't so much hitting hard as they are just tying up the enemy, pushing them around, etc.

Not sure what the best version of class feature for such a build would be, but some of what has been suggested in this thread is likely to work in some form. I think that would be cool, and I am going to just guess here that it might stand a better chance of getting picked up than going the theme route.

Well put, DS.

Just imagining this concept, what if "Open Hand Master" was a monk build. His attacks actually do lower damage than a weapon, but he gets to apply some conditions. This could be accomplished via a few new powers, which are things like throws, holds, sweeps, kicks, etc. giving him even more of a controller bent. He could be pretty much a 50/50 striker/controller kind of build right off the bat, and fits quite well with my view of guys like Jackie Chan, who aren't so much hitting hard as they are just tying up the enemy, pushing them around, etc.

That sort of behavior is already well-supported. With my very control-oriented power selection, my Centered Breath monk does that schtick very well. Funnels enemies toward the defender or into happy burst-able arrangements for the controller. He just does it better and over a larger space if he's got a spear in one hand and a dagger in the other, thanks to Pointed Step Style (under-rated, IMO) and Starblade Flurry.

The needed change may be as small as a style feat or two along the lines of Pointed Step/Crashing Tempest to give unarmed attacks a schtick.

Pointed step has reach. Starblade has range. Crashing Tempest has damage. I like the suggestions up thread of slow/immobilize or grab. It has the virtue of not having been done for the monk, plus it can set up combinations, such as World Serpent's Grasp on the next attack. Could make a very sticky, defender-y monk.

Artoomis

First Post
Actually, it does. Skill bonuses are not equivalent to damage bonuses in terms of balance. It just isn't.

Your argument was originally about having to give up something to get a feature. Since we have shifted gears, I'll address the current argument. The value of level 5 and level 10 feature varies from what I would consider near-useless to pretty darn good. I think the ones I designed are on the better end. A bonus to damage is pretty darn good, but it is situational in that you must be unarmed. I need to continue to consider the appropriate power level for a theme.

It may be that a better balancing factor woudl be to require, for the theme, that one have both hands free, but that may be overly restrictive.

...So, wielding a weapon in the off-hand other than the main weapon is a different option for monks than for rogues? It's okay that rogues and warlocks can do it but for monks it's broken?

Yes it is different, but not "broken." It is different because monks, by design, have a iconic unarmed attack that is never, ever the best choice or even equal to the best choice. So, yes, the unarmed strike is broken because it is always a dumb (except perhaps for role-playing reasons) decision for a monk to be unarmed.[/quote]

...You need to know where damage stands with a monk in relation to normal strikers before you can start monkeying around with damage and giving them more.

Again, you miss the point, it seems. The point is to actually make attacking unarmed a viable choice instead of always the sub-optimal choice.

Giving more damage to an unarmed striker is an option - you may not find it particularly interesting, but it is instead of getting interesting powers and properties from weapons. In my example, to go unarmed one gives up +2 damage (per Flurry target) and +1 AC/Reflex, not counting any feats.

Still, perhaps the idea of imposing conditions is better than more damage. Maybe. It's worth more thought, at least.

Bottom line: Someone building a monk should have:

1. An option for a reasonable basic attack
2. An option for an effective unarmed strike that remains a reasonable choice vs. having non-attack weapon powers/properties available, preferably without giving up all other monk build options

Artoomis

First Post
...Pointed step has reach. Starblade has range. Crashing Tempest has damage. I like the suggestions up thread of slow/immobilize or grab. It has the virtue of not having been done for the monk, plus it can set up combinations, such as World Serpent's Grasp on the next attack. Could make a very sticky, defender-y monk.

What would you think of the power having immobilize put back in there? Too powerful?

How about if the the theme's staring feature became a level 5 feature and the starting feature became a encounter power adding a grab (auto success) to a successful attack?

Hmmm... this sounds pretty good to me and more in line with other themes, even.

DracoSuave

First Post
Your argument was originally about having to give up something to get a feature. Since we have shifted gears, I'll address the current argument. The value of level 5 and level 10 feature varies from what I would consider near-useless to pretty darn good. I think the ones I designed are on the better end. A bonus to damage is pretty darn good, but it is situational in that you must be unarmed. I need to continue to consider the appropriate power level for a theme.

It may be that a better balancing factor woudl be to require, for the theme, that one have both hands free, but that may be overly restrictive.

'Situational' isn't the appropriate word when the 'situation' is 'my character fights in this style.' It's no more 'situational' than a battlerager getting better with an axe, or Weapon Focus: Light Blades is for a rapier fighter.

Themes are supposed to be a lot more general than that.

Yes it is different, but not "broken." It is different because monks, by design, have a iconic unarmed attack that is never, ever the best choice or even equal to the best choice. So, yes, the unarmed strike is broken because it is always a dumb (except perhaps for role-playing reasons) decision for a monk to be unarmed.

We're not arguing that. What my point is... why tool around with the damage numbers for something when you don't have it figured out in relation to where strikers should be? If weapon monk is too high, the solution is to nerf weapon monk. If unarmed is too low, omly them is an appropriate solution is to give them more damage. If the numbers are about right in the range, then unarmed should just get a minor benefit to attract players with tactics other than Moar DPR.

The thing is, you haven't identified what -exactly- the problem is. Is the problem that weapon monks do too much, unarmed does too little, or unarmed needs a little extra on the side? As I don't believe monks do too much damage with weapons, or too little damage with unarmed, it's safe to assume they just need a little extra nudge to make those who want unarmed builds have something.

Again, you miss the point, it seems. The point is to actually make attacking unarmed a viable choice instead of always the sub-optimal choice.

Yes, but 'suboptimal' is a dangerous word. 'Optimal' applies in a world of minmaxing, but that is not the world all D&D players play in. Fey pact warlocks were 'suboptimal' and yet they were attractive to many players because they enjoyed the tricks they brought to the table.

Giving more damage to an unarmed striker is an option - you may not find it particularly interesting, but it is instead of getting interesting powers and properties from weapons. In my example, to go unarmed one gives up +2 damage (per Flurry target) and +1 AC/Reflex, not counting any feats.

The thing is, it's a bland flavorless option that doesn't make unarmed attractive except as an alternate way to add numbers. What's the -flavor- of an unarmed monk? What do they do that makes them competitive with weapon-users? How do they work in terms of flavor, and how do you transpose that flavor to game-mechanics?

If properly thought out, it shouldn't be as simple as 'add a basic attack and throw in some damage adders.' That's not making unarmed attacks attractive, that's just creating a CharOp argument.

Still, perhaps the idea of imposing conditions is better than more damage. Maybe. It's worth more thought, at least.

Bottom line: Someone building a monk should have:

1. An option for a reasonable basic attack

Stone Fist is Strength based and the damage-heavy option. Isn't that the build you want basic attack options for? The other builds are based on keep-away.

2. An option for an effective unarmed strike that remains a reasonable choice vs. having non-attack weapon powers/properties available, preferably without giving up all other monk build options

Agreed here, but if your options involve giving the unarmed monk the ability to do the same damage without the cost of having to acquire the items to make the damage, it's not balanced. You're better off approaching it from a side angle. I figure the entire thing could be solved by adding 'You get +1 to attack rolls when you are carrying no weapons' to the Improved Unarmed feat. +1 attack will make unarmed a viable option, as that's something you simply cannot do through any weapon or magic property. Then you'd be able to say what the unarmed advantage is: The unarmed style allows one to focus their attacks with greater accuracy at the cost of the benefits a weapon brings to the table.

Don't shy away from what unarmed attacks can't do. Embrace the disadvantages it carries, and instead, offer something different. That's where strong flavor comes from, and it creates something that engages the imagination more. You're better off approaching it from the angle of making unarmed special, rather than making it equal. Adding 'special' adds depth to the class, adding 'equal' just appeals to CharOp, and only long enough to determine whether unarmed is more damaging than weaponed. If yes, then you've obsoleted weapon, which is bad, and if no, you've failed at your original goal. Neither of these outcomes are desirable.

Last edited:

WalterKovacs

First Post

This does of course assume the party/monk player is perfectly fine with investing in a magic ki focus, AND two magic weapons, in addition to his neck slot and armor slot, etc.

Assuming 3 'attack' magic items, isn't inconsequential. True, you can go with low level stuff with the weapons since ki focus is doing the heavy lifting, but that extra magic item 'money' could just as easily have gone towards different items. While an unarmed monk lacks the option of benefiting (as much) from magic items and feats ... they also do something else with those feats AND they can grab different magic items instead.

A theme probably isn't the best path ... a new 'build' could be an idea. It could be an alternate Str/Dex build, which gives conditional modifiers based on being unarmed. Being able to say: Slow/Immobilize with flurry, and have a Grab Attack as an at-will full discipline [perhaps with the move allowing for shift X and slide grabbed target x along with you] and the grab goes away at the end of the next turn, similar to the brawler fighter's attack. As a strength based build:

A) You should have a good mba (Also, you have the makings of a good bull rush and grab at-will attack, so perhaps feats that improve those for monks more so than other classes ... I know there is a very cool paragon monk bull rush power that let's you push your speed and follow with a bull rush)

B) You should have good Fort and Reflex, so a grabby build would be supported by making grabs hard to get out of (and you could do a brawler fighter thing there and have a feat tha that forces enemies to always go against your Reflex)

What would you think of the power having immobilize put back in there? Too powerful?

How about if the the theme's staring feature became a level 5 feature and the starting feature became a encounter power adding a grab (auto success) to a successful attack?

Hmmm... this sounds pretty good to me and more in line with other themes, even.

If your main concern is unarmed monks, I'm not sure the theme is necessary to address the problem. Unarmed worked fine for me until I discovered the extensive feat support encouraging you to put weapons in your hands.

If staying unarmed had comparable feat support the problem might be solved right there without having to play with damage. Or, at the very least, a decent feat or two, competitive with those I listed above, would encourage people to leave a hand free.

A line of grapple-related powers a la the Brawler Fighter build would also be welcome in that regard and would need only be balanced against existing monk powers rather than the highly debatable nature of theme balance.

mneme

Explorer
A theme just isn't the right answer. Themes should cross classes and for pseudo-multiclassing themes, provide weak multiclassing for other classes with enough to offer the main class to be worth taking "in class" as well as out of it. New builds for a class aren't what themes are for -- they're what the basic class features are for. (and occasionally feats).

Artoomis

First Post
A theme just isn't the right answer. Themes should cross classes and for pseudo-multiclassing themes, provide weak multiclassing for other classes with enough to offer the main class to be worth taking "in class" as well as out of it. New builds for a class aren't what themes are for -- they're what the basic class features are for. (and occasionally feats).

I am not sure I agree. Themes seem to do many things, and I think what I've done so far (as modified by some suggestions) fits in pretty well with the other themes that have been created by WotC. OF course, it needs all the background and flavor text still, which will make a difference, too.

It's just another option.

DracoSuave

First Post
This.

Now, you -are- correct in the idea that an unarmed attacker theme is perfectly viable, flavor-wise. However, you have not provided one. What you've provided is a theme that is only good for unarmed attackers. It does not -make- you a good unarmed attacker unless you already were.

A better way to do it would be to forgo the level 1 encounter power and replace it with this:

'You are proficient in unarmed weapons. The unarmed strike gives you a +3 proficiency bonus, and has 1d8 weapon damage. If you are not wielding a weapon or carrying a shield, you gain +1 to attack rolls.'

This way, you have a theme that works well with monks and brawlers, but also gives unarmed capabilities to other classes that might desire it. This is how a theme should work, opening up concepts, not bandaging concepts you don't find work perfectly.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads