• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Proficiency Bonus dice?

So, there is an option in the new DMG to use polyhedral dice instead of a flat Proficiency bonus. So, for example, you’d roll a D4 rather than a +2 bonus, a D6 for +3 and so on upto a D12 instead of +6. It was mooted before in play test I think, but was obviously not popular enough. I do see advantages though:

1) It makes use of all the polyhedral dice in regular play - rather than just for damage rolls.
2) The roll adds more unexpected results, and provides the opportunity for more outstanding results.

Has anybody made use of these rolls in actual play? What do you think?

fjw70

Adventurer
I haven't but have considered using them. I like rolling more dice rather then having static bonuses. Also I could implement a DCC RPG Mighty Deeds-like manuever system for the fighter.

Zansy

Explorer
Can't say I tried it, though the idea shows promise as far as I am concerned.
I'm not entirely certain whether or not my players like the idea (I'm the only one of them thus far owning the books, and I'm not done reading yet!) but I would likely tell my players- "either take the proficiency bonus or try your luck." (Come to think of it, a similar mechanic to this would be 5e Hit Dice. :D )
The ruling might already say this, or these two options might not coexist well, I need to read up more on it later, but I'm planning on trying the variant however works for me. Also, This way players with varying luck ratios can pick how they would rather play out their bonuses, and they can't go whining if (when?) they make the wrong choice:devil:

Quartz

Hero
It seems a no-brainer when the proficiency bonus is +2 if you roll d4 as only 1/4 time do you do worse - did you mean d3?

It would massively advantage rogues with their Expertise topping out at 2d12 rather than +12

It seems a no-brainer when the proficiency bonus is +2 if you roll d4 as only 1/4 time do you do worse - did you mean d3?

It would massively advantage rogues with their Expertise topping out at 2d12 rather than +12

The option is to roll a die that has a number of sides double to the value of the flat proficiency bonus, as stated.

Remove ads