• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Practical Dungeon-Keeping

Paka

Explorer
Those who had broken into heaven and those who had broken out of hell were set aside by the Gods and Goddesses. An adventuring caste was created for these divine thieves and troublemakers.

This brings us to demons.

First a demon will possess a mortal. After festering in the mortal’s soul for a time it will create a body for itself. If this body should be killed the creature’s infernal seed will collapse into the ground, driving towards hell. This demonic decay creates dungeons.

The dungeons, labyrinthine death knells of devils and demons as they fall back into the abyss that birthed them are the providence of the adventuring caste. It is their place to enter these caverns, tunnels and dark underground cathedrals with their holy weapons, stout rope and anointed torches to drive away demonic blights and close the paths to hell.

The local ruler is responsible for making certain that each member of the Adventuring caste always has access to:

40 foot of rope

a 10 foot pole

a master blacksmith's services

a fine steed

a pack donkey

3 lanterns with oil

6 torches

12 days of dried rations

suitable armor

suitable weapons

arcane tutors

a loremaster

a man-at-arms

a priest of the caste's choice

a map of the region by a master cartographer

12 iron spikes

one iron hammer

stout boots

a wool cloak

and one sharp dagger

The sharp dagger is often given to the adventurer before they leave on their ceremonial quest when possible.

Each member of the Adventuring caste may stay in any house for 3 days. The lords and ladies of said house are expected to feed, clothe and heal the holy dungeoneers to the best of their ability during these 3 days.

Kabol

First Post
Looks Interesting ... Just ... What is this? I feel like you left out the directions on what it is. Or what you want us to do.

Paka

Explorer
Kabol said:
Looks Interesting ... Just ... What is this? I feel like you left out the directions on what it is. Or what you want us to do.

Good question.

I've never been fond of running dungeon-crawls and yet as a player I'm quite fond of them.

I think I'm coming to terms with them by making a cultural reason behind them.

So...add to the world by throwing out a cultural more of your own devising, brainstorm, add to the Holy Equipment List, ritualize some part of dungeon-crawling in this context or just admire the view.

Thanks for reading.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads