• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Powergamers Unite! Elf Cleric Archer

eXodus

Explorer
hola, folks.

monday i am joining an already in progress RTTTOEE game. they have little in the way of a cleric, only a cohort. so i have opted to play a cleric.

the cleric i have opted with is an elven cleric of Labelas Enoreth. he will be 9th level with access to time and elf domains from the FRCS. for those unaware these domains give him Improved Initiative and Point Blank Shot.

i rolled very well and here are his stats augmented by race and level adjustment.

STR13
DEX19(+2 racial)
CON12(-2 racial)
INT15
WIS19(+2 level adjustments)
CHR16

the time domain gives him permenancy as a 5th level domain spell, so i plan on him crafting his own magical bows and arrows.

thusly he needs some item creation feats i am thinking of craft arms and armor. also the spell casting prodigy feat from the FRCS is needed. no reason not to take it. every other caster in the party has.

so he has two more feats. archery feats? Precise Shot and Rapid Shot could not hurt at all.

of his 48 skill points i am needing a good number of ranks in concentration, spellcraft, craft bowyer, knowledge religion, and healing. with a few in other knowledge skills for flavor.

what sort of gear does this guy need? that is where i really tend to have a heard time. all of the other characters are very well armed and badass. thusly i need to be able to hold my own.

help me out, folks. take a look at what i have so far and let me know what i might want to change and what sort of magical love i need. i have 36,000 GP to outfit this guy with.

sithramir

First Post
You don't need permanency to create items anymore.

Full plate is good. Boots of springing go give you back the movement you lost is good.

Prayer beads are ok.

Deathward is goooooooooood. Memorize 2 a day :)

Last edited:

eXodus said:
STR13
DEX19(+2 racial)
CON12(-2 racial)
INT15
WIS19(+2 level adjustments)
CHR16

Wow that's one mean character... Point-buy equivalent: 55!

I'm making an elven cleric archer myself. Took Travel and War as my domains (I don't have access to the FRCS feats). Won't be too powerful until I hit 7th and have access to Greater Magic Weapon.

Don't have much to add to the discussion... Have fun!

TS

Kae'Yoss

First Post
I have an elven archer-cleric. Deity: Solonor Thelandira, domains: War, Elf, Plant (Divine Disciple).

Definetly learn divine power and divine favor, maybe even righteous might. These buffs will give you great power with your bow, if only for a minute or two.

Elder-Basilisk

First Post
sithramir said:
You don't need permanency to create items anymore.

Full plate is good. Boots of springing go give you back the movement you lost is good.

Fullplate is more than a little bit of a waste for a cleric with a 19 dex. Go for a mithral chain shirt (or mithral breastplate if you can get it) instead. You'll get a better AC than you would with normal fullplate (almost as good as if you had mithral fullplate). It will also weigh a lot less which is a significant consideration when you have a 12 strength.

As for feats: without precise shot and rapid shot, you're not an archer--you're a gimp who happens to have a bow.

At 6th level, a true power gamer will go for Extend Spell (preparation for persistent spell at 9th level when a persistent Divine Favor will give you +3 to hit and damage). Alternately, the power gamer (with the war domain) might choose Endurance so as to qualify for the Templar class and take one level for free weapon specialization and mettle. (It only works if you've the war domain though--otherwise, you need to be 9th level to have enough feats).

For items, I'd recommend the following:

Gloves of dexterity +2, periapt of wisdom +2, +2 mithral breastplate, +1 frost mighty [+1] darkwood composite longbow (if this is 3.0 go for a mighty [+4] bow), Quiver of Ehlonna, Cloak of Resistance +3, wand of Cure light wounds, large darkwood shield, masterwork longsword (cold iron if 3.5), and a variety of utility scrolls.

That should give you a base AC of 22 before spells--25 with Shield of Faith and 27 while wilding your shield (29 if you cast Magic Vestment on your shield depending upon). It will also give you an attack routine of +11/+11/+6 for 1d8+3+1d6 within 30 feet (+13/+13/+8 for 1d8+5+1d6 if you cast GMW on your arrows).

The periapt of wisdom will enable you to enjoy bonus 5th level spells when you hit your next level. The quiver of Ehlonna is a must for any archer. The cloak of resistance is pretty much a must for any 8th level character. Saving throws are what keep D&D characters alive.

Zogg

First Post
True Strike + Greater Slaying Arrow = Dead Things.

Unfortunately you can't create a slaying arrow (it requires the finger of death spell), but your mage can! Hopefully you can convince your mage to take the craft magic arms/armor feat and he will realize the money he can make for himself by crafting things for the party. I would LOVE to have a few greater slaying arrows....mwa-hahahaaaaa.

maransreth

Explorer
I would have thought War and Elf as domains would have been a better choice, esp as Elf gives True Strike and Cats Grace. War gives the Weapon Focus for free.

If you want unlimited normal arrows, go for Devlin's Ring (Book of Eldritch Might 3) for 2000gp. Go for mithril as armor definitely.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads