• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Level Up (A5E) possible way of fixing carrying capacity

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
Any encumbrance system that I would even consider using, would need to eliminate the need to do math on the exact weight of what you are carrying. I lean more towards a system of slots based on your strength, although there are obviously loopholes for any such system if you look closely.

I'd say: the game should remove the rules that will be ignored. No need to waste page count for useless stuff.
  • Weight
  • Focus vs no cost components
  • Free hand/items juggling
  • Alignment
  • Ammo
  • Travel pace

Instead, focus on detailing the rules that will be used. I can find a bunch of ways to make the above more abstract and make them easier/funnier to handle, but if A5E is to be a more detailed and crunchier version of 5e, I dont think more abstract is the way to go. And let's be honest: there's not amount of detail and crunch that could be added to the above rules to make them funnier. More difficult to handwave? Maybe? Less boring? Probably not.

I'd say: the game should remove the rules that will be ignored. No need to waste page count for useless stuff.
  • Weight
  • Focus vs no cost components
  • Free hand/items juggling
  • Alignment
  • Ammo
  • Travel pace

Instead, focus on detailing the rules that will be used. I can find a bunch of ways to make the above more abstract and make them easier/funnier to handle, but if A5E is to be a more detailed and crunchier version of 5e, I dont think more abstract is the way to go. And let's be honest: there's not amount of detail and crunch that could be added to the above rules to make them funnier. More difficult to handwave? Maybe? Less boring? Probably not.

I use three of those six, and I'm not clear on what you mean with the third item, so it could be four.

There's a lot of blanket 'everyone' assumptions going on.

I think a couple of important questions here to ask are: Is tracking your equipment fun? If so, what is fun about it? Is there a good mechanical reason to limit carrying ability?

I think we should first answer these questions, before defining what it is.

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
There's a lot of blanket 'everyone' assumptions going on.

Maybe, but even if I personally use a bunch of those, its not hard to do a quick look on the different D&D communities on the internet to see that few tables actually enforce them. Tracking stuff is kinda passé, like it or not.

I personally like inventory managing, lifestyles, travel pace and ammo tracking. But I made homebrew rules to make them somehow fun and relevant. Because in the base 5e, they are none of those: make a rule easy to handwave, and people will handwave it.

I think a couple of important questions here to ask are: Is tracking your equipment fun? If so, what is fun about it? Is there a good mechanical reason to limit carrying ability?

Resource management is important, IMO. Otherwise you've got the player who always had enough of any possible mundane item to hand, no matter what.

You also lack the building tension as a particular operation goes long, or forces unplanned directions onto the PCs, while rations, ammunition, etc. start running low.

IME it never takes any significant time to deal with. These days all my players have laptops in front of them and One Note, but it hasn't been a problem long before that development.

Is it 'fun'? Resource management is, IMO/IME, a key contributor to atmosphere, tone, and drama. Not to mention the impact on tactical operations.

As to a good mechanical reason to limit carrying ability, the simple fact that people can only carry X amount of weight before it becomes a problem.

We have a a system limiting the amount of damage a PC can take, or the number of times an ability can be used in a given period, so why would one defining how much of a load they could carry require justification?

I would say it was essential. YRMV.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Carrying capacity is an opt-in boon to your abilities depending on your class as it lets you carry a diverse amount of equipment.

You can carry heavy crossbows (strongest ranged attack), longbows(longest ranged attack compatible with shortbow, Handaxes (dual-wield capable strength-based ranged attacks), Greatsword(highest melee damage), longsword(versatile weapon), and a net (means to restrain). That takes up to 31 lbs (certain playstyles will need to adjust).

Someone with all armor proficiencies need 2 sets of armor for max efficiency: Plate Armor when you are breaking ogre skulls without a care, and Breastplate when you need to sneak around. If you are okay with having disadvantage on stealth, you're probably okay with being caught unless you have a good spell like PWT which still isn't a guaranteed solution.

You'll want to constantly wager whether you want a shield or not in combat, but a shield should always be with you if you have such proficiencies. +2 AC may be more worthwhile than the extra damage, even if it competes with GWM since being all-out offensive can cause problems when the enemy is ready to strike. If the enemy is bloodied or looks like they don't have many hit points, you may want to go with it. If not, the extra +2 can do wonders for your own defenses. This accumulates to roughly 85 lbs.

An example on a relatively extreme but possible example of +2 AC mattering is if you had an AC of 20 and the enemy had a to-hit of +1, the +2 AC has halved his damage output. In play, it will usually be about a 25-30% increase in damage overall, which is quite a good defensive buff. Of course, trading them in for more damage.

ThatGuySteve

Explorer

Is tracking weight fun? No

Is missing an attack fun? No

Is failing a concentration check fun? No

Is character death fun? No (usually)

I don't think any of these are fun by themselves, but the situation they create can be fun.

I failed my concentration check but now I can cast a new concentration spell, changing the tactics of this fight.

My character died, now I get to roll up a new character.

Tracking equipment isn't fun until the situation arises were it adds a new element of drama. What equipment will I ditch so I can carry enough water to get across the desert? Will I drop my sword so I can drag my friend to safety?

Of you ignore minutiae of the weight of potions or coins, that could fluctuate regularly, how often does a characters loadout change? It's not terribly onerous to track just the big ticket items.

Derren

Hero

Thats a loaded question. You should rather ask if having to manage resources is fun.

Remove ads