• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Possessed Items

gwyllgi

First Post
Does anyone know the book where possessed items is covered, My party has weapons of legacy, but i want a possessed weapon.

Last edited:

Rath the Brown

First Post
I'm not sure about a specific source just for possessed items, but the Fiend Folio has an outsider prestige classes in the first appendix called the Fiend of Possession, which might help you. The class details the powers and abilities the fiend has/can grant while possessing an item.

cjosephs1s

First Post
Tip #1: You don't want a possesed item if your a non evil character.
Tip #2: You still don't want a possessed item even if you are an evil character unless you plan on rerolling another character pretty soon.

Ok here's the thing with possessed items. I recall doing some reading on them a long time ago and just brushed up a tincy bit on them. They are possessed usually by Demons (Devils also work). That's what gives them power. Demons (or Devils) aren't the forgiving type nor are they looking out for your PCs best interest or the party's for that matter.

Rules for how this works are in the book of Vile Darkness pg 25.

Now I do recall reading somewhere (not in a WotC book) that you can summon a Demon and trap him inside a weapon and make him do your bidding if you are strong enough and have the right magical protections in place but once again you are playing a very very dangerous game. If you ever fail to keep control of your demon it will most likely attack you that very instant.

Also your item will not really be magical as it has no magical enchanments on it. It will however detect as evil which can cause problems for you.

My advice: while colorful and different as this path is, get a weapon of legacy or perhaps an intelligent weapon that is of the same alignment as your character. More than likely he's in enough danger without his own weapon turning against him.

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
Are you talking about Intellegent Weapons? that would be in the DMG. An Intellegent weapon with a different alignment than you would be trouble enough, a posessed weapon would just plain be a pain in the neck.

gwyllgi

First Post
cjosephs1s, the issue with weapons of legacy is that i'm a arcane necromancer and all of the WOL that deal with necromancy need (seriously f^%$ you wizard) divine necromancy.

I we all payed to research WOL two companions got Shishi-O and Desert wind, we've got a crazed bowmen whose got a bow from AaE that can kill with one hit. I think the other WOL swords are all generic good knight swords.

cjosephs1s

First Post
Oh ye of little faith. Scales of Balance pg 136. Perfect for an a student of necromancy. Its a staff that deals with life and death. You get a few bad necromancy spells and you get a few good ones and its a double weapon if you need to use it for melee. So I found one for you. And no I didn't continue looking after this so there may be others. That scythe in the beginning is a good choice too just change a few minor things about it from being a religious thing to an arcane/planar thing.

Here's another problem you're going to run into with WoL. They are weapons! You're a Wizard! lol That's about like giving a barbarian a really nice wizards staff. To him its a stick that doesn't do much damage. Just the same you hardly ever are going to actually use a weapon. I'd get together with your DM and find an alternative solution other than a weapon used in combat.

cjosephs1s

First Post
Yeah..i got it was directed at WotC. I was referring to "arcane necromancer" hence a wizard or mage that specializes/studies in the field of necromancy. Maybe herein lies the confusion? My assumed definition is quite viable for your description though, but if you would like to eleborate (perhaps it is "too complex" for you to explain) that might give us all more info into what you are actually looking for.

Also having designed several WoL for my own players in a campaign I ran several years ago I can say its quite fun and not that hard to do.

gwyllgi

First Post
everyone grab a seat, this could be a few pages unless you all understand immediately.

I Decanus Deathsong, Aasimar son of Magnus the fallen (a Solar who was corrupted when he attempted to challenge a certain horned one directly) am a gestalt Dread Necromancer Incarnate. The DM who I knew since childhood decided to work ideas i made up about TV show plots from when i was a teenager. the somewhat hilarity that came from this was horrible.

My party was good with a few Anti heroes who wanted to be the punisher. I had fooled them into thinking i was a simple Druid with my pet wolf which was actually a Quasit familliar. Our party was hunted down by assassins, all of which targeted a different member, so we always stayed in twos. We all defeated ours but one member, a young half li long sorceress' never had a attempt on her life, we wondered why.

Two weeks later the red widow and like 5 other vampires bust(heh) into the tavern, the 5 mooks pin her and drain her of blood, the Fighter+Monk , fighter+dwarven defender, and Barbarian+samurai had decided to pass out drunk and could do nothing. anyway this ends with me going all buffy then using necromantic (heh again) powers to command her, she lived in my Genesis Cloth, a portable hole that has permanent genesis casted on it filled with soil from her homelands transported inside via zombie day laborers. and a night she came out, I had to convince her to stay in dire wolf form by saying it in the Undead language of love, Dark Speech.

eventually we got "another" druid who had questioned me about why i smell of freshly dug dirt, my answer, If you are suggesting i am earth elemental you are wrong, i was resurrected once before. Then said druid asked what god i worshiped, I said, the correct one.

later the a small mongrel folk man asked us to go hunting for my father's bow, although the group didn't know it was my father's. While there we were attacked by dozens gnolls sent to retrieve the bow aswell, but for their king, I took out a few of them while telling my party to retreat i'll cover them with my druid magic, by druid magic i mean necromancy shooting arrows as bat girl helped, eventually we win due to me zombifying a good portion of the enemy but i began to loose health due to poision. i'm stumbling around before falling over and slowly dying and i cry out "SAVE ME!!!".

Apparently being the son of a Solar is badass enough to net me the Vampire lord template, eventually I came out of the undead closet, yep undead closet, i went there. Girl who played Half li long is pissed in real life and begins to try to use her new druid character to subvert me, she pulls out garlic, i put it on roasted kolbold, she attempts to throw alchemist's fire into my tent but when she opens the flaps is treated to a sight that horrifies her due to her love of nature and the circle of life, hot Vampire on vampire smex, causing her temporary blindness for a day and she took temporary initiative and ability score damage, I laughed for 5 minutes, as did the other players, seriously.

I give magic bow to mongrelfolk guy who later turns out to be a devil worshipper, apparently Magnus became second in command to Baalzebub the man-slug who wanted a boon, which he received, in the form of a winged template.

so I am currently a necrocarnate, dread necro, shadow adept, i wear magic Glassteel lamellar and use the necrocarnate soul melds, when combined i give off a dark purple glow that reflects off of my badass shiny mongol armor. of and i had the quasit famillar killed and resurrected as a undead demon in wolf form (anybody remember pet cemetary 2? here's a reminder http://filmi-onlain-smotret-besplatno.ru/wp-content/uploads//pet-sematary-ii-0/4d1fb3ddda285.jpg), he also wears armor, though it isn't magic or glassteel.

Our DM allows us to play gestalt and has no problem with gestalting PrCs.

cjosephs1s

First Post
Ok gestalt got it. That's what my DM has been running the last 5 years. So on one side you are an Aasimar 2/vampire lord 11/incarnate ? and the other a dread necromancer ?/shadow adept ? Is this correct? If not please reformat as needed.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads