• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Poison making materials

NEXxREX

First Post
now i'm going to be playing a rogue darkstalker in my friends campaign this upcoming wednesday and because darkstalkers have a racial poison use i'm thinking of maxing out what he can do with it. there are a lot of ways to increase the dc of poisons and making them is easy

the real problem if finding the components to make them....

now i've read a lot of guides and the one below (i'm not that savy with putting links in posts sorry guys) was one i thought had a lot of good ideas
http://ndex.php?tobrilliantgameologists.com/boards/ipic=4854.0

things like "milking" summoned monsters with the amber amulet of vermin from the m.i.c. now this sounds awesome but in my mind the summoned monsters venom would disappear when the monsters time runs up or no? wouldn't this be like trying to eat a summoned monsters meat it just goes away once the spells time is up.

and using minor/major creation to make plants and things to use as raw materials sounds good but these spells have time limits and i'm thinking that the raw materials would disappear once the spells duration is up?

im mostly posting to see if im an idiot and don't understand it or if these people are making mistakes. just the two points at the bottom i need anwsered guys and i appreciate all feedback that is given thank you all in advance, i just posted the guide so you guys can see what i'm looking at when i'm thinking these things

THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!

RUMBLETiGER

Adventurer
There's some good stuff in that Arsenic & Old Lace thread.

I know for certain that poisons made by the creation spells disappear after the duration. However, the death that results from killing someone with a temporarily created poison is permanent (well, as permanent as death is in D&D...) so make it, kill somebody, then enjoy the fact that the evidence is gone!

I'm unsure about the continued existence of a summoned monster's poison. If a summoned monster poisoned an enemy with an attack, the poison would be expected to continue to damage that enemy after the summoned monster duration expired. Evidence then of the continued persistence of poison. I'd not argue to strongly with a DM that shot this thinking down, but you've got some ground to stand on.

1st level Shaper Psion get's Psionic Minor Creation at level 1. Use it to bathe enemies in Black Lotus Extract, then expect your DM to throw something at you.

I played a spy that used poison. His thing was that he posed as a gardener frequently for the noble house he was employed by. Since I had access to all the plants, I used them to concoct poisons.

Otherwise, put some ranks into Gather Info / Know (Local) to get yourself a contact on the black market. A few gold pieces here and there and you should have access to all the raw materials you need.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Milking summoned monsters: a summoned monster can be thought of as a magic spell. Sure, it walks, talks, and has fur. But it's just a spell, and it ends when its time is up.

Creation spells: cast some Permanency on them. Problem solved. Now, the makers of D&D don't want to allow you to permanently make gems (Major Creation), but your DM might have a different take on it.

Getting ingredients: just walk out into the woods and roll some Knowledge Nature checks. Or failing that, you could probably adventure for some components!

NEXxREX

First Post
well my purpose was that if i needed poison i could get it on the fly, but i can use the DMG and use the custom item creation table to make a rod that can cast minor creation to make a poison once a day.

9th lv caster x 4th level spell x 2000 = 72,000 divided by (5 divided by one charge a day) 14, 400 gold for 9 hours daily of minor creation poison.
when compared to a wand that has 50 charges and does the same thing coming in at 27,000 i guess its not bad. and in the end im not that excited by minor creation unless i can cast it myself soooooo

i thought of detect plants and animals a lv 1 spell available at lv 1, so if i set it for 3 times a day its only 1800 gold easy cheap and effective foraging :)

and with adept poisoner feat from pale designs: a poisoner's handbook(use half a dose of poison for your blade) and the toxic enhancement from drow of the underdark(two strikes out of one dose of poison) i really wouldnt need much else when it comes to poison for awhile.

thanks for all the replys guys i am never disappointed when i come for help :)

Remove ads