• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

POD for Personal use?

Drkfathr1

First Post
So I've got a campaign booklet for my homebrew, and I'd like to have several copies printed for my group. Solely for my own personal use, not for re-sale.

Would Lulu allow me to print and buy those books if I put artwork in there that is not mine? I've gathered a variety of art to illustrate certain things in the book, just to give an idea of certain races and organizations, but its all borrowed.

Even though I have no intention of making the file public or selling the book, would they put the kibosh on that idea?

Marius Delphus

Adventurer
Would Lulu allow me to print and buy those books if I put artwork in there that is not mine? ...

Even though I have no intention of making the file public or selling the book, would they put the kibosh on that idea?
I believe this would violate their Member Agreement.

Lulu.com Member Agreement said:
3. Content
... By uploading Content to the Site you represent and warrant, at all times during the term of this Agreement, that the Content:

• Is owned by you or, to the extent owned by someone else, that you have permission to provide the Content to Lulu for use as described above and, in either case, that the Content does not contain any Personal Data about any individual other than you.
  • Does not violate any copyright, trademark, trade secret or other intellectual property right of any third party...
As I read the Agreement, there is no distinction made between content you upload only for your "own" use or content you upload for distribution.

pawsplay

Hero
I tend to be pretty free-wheeling about such things, but I think using someone else's artwork to illustrate your ideas, without their permission, to publish some campaign notes, even as just a few copies, is a copyright infringement. If you were making just one copy for yourself, I'd say, go for it, but since you are sharing with your group, it sounds like you are using non-clippy art as clipart for other than personal purposes.

afstanton

Explorer
You could always print stuff via the web at Staples or Kinkos or some other local print shop like that. Some have very reasonable pricing, including binding. Upload the file and pick it up. I've done that before.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads