• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Please Rate D20 CoC

Izod

First Post
My group is intrested in maybe starting a modern game for a change of pace. We all like the CoC setting and I think it would be fun. But as I haven't seen the book I'm kinda loath to drop $40 on a book that isn't for our primary game unless it's good.

We love the D20 system but I'm kinda curious how the game handles firearms and automatic wepons. Also are skills/Feats/ Levels similar to the DnD system.

basically what I want to know is how is the CoC system different and how is it the same.

If this has been talked about before then feel free to post a link as I'm to poot to be a paid member :)

barsoomcore

Unattainable Ideal
Surely there's plenty of reviews around the net to tell what's in and what's not.

I love it, think it's great, am running a CoC game right now. Check reviews, read through a copy at your local hobby store and decide.

Green Knight

First Post
Well, it's as close to a classless system as you're likely to find. Rather than classes, you select a "Defense Option" or "Offense Option" and that determines what your BAB and saving throws are. For your skills, you pick a Profession Template and you get a set of skills with it.

As for feats, you get them normally. But you ONLY get the feats that you get for levelling and your human bonus. No starting feats as there aren't any real classes. You get 2 Feats at 1st level and ONLY 2 Feats.

Anyway, I have yet to play it but I'm really anxious to play it, as from reading it it's a damn fine system. I think it's worth it. There're some differences from standard D&D (Like Wounds and Vitality, rather than Hit Points), but the differences are few and far between and it is very much a D20 game. I say get it.

it's a d20 game with a very big non-D&D feel

So much so that if your players are big on D&D, they will detest CoC as having insufficient action. (And of course, CoC characters die with alarming regularity --- alarming for D&D players)

Once those expectations are set right, it's a great game.

I love it!
heart.gif
I only have a borrowed copy in the house right now, but I'm devouring the thing. I'd like to play an X-files rip-off using these rules.

If you are familiar with D&D rules, the mechanics are a cinch. Very easy to pull off.

I'm absolutely amazed that d20 was able to do this genre justice, to tell you the truth. Until I saw this, and saw that it was so well done, I didn't really have faith in d20 as a potential universal system.

Last edited:

Or buy.com. While I was waiting to find out what would happen with my ELH (which I've had for about a week now) I looked at other Wizards books, and they're all highly discounted.

mmadsen

First Post
As far as classes go, everyone's effectively playing an Expert. Thus, lots of flexibility in which skills you choose, plenty of Skill Ponts to then spend on those Skills, but very, very few Feats -- and the whole notion of Hit Dice feels weird, but the lowered "massive damage" threshold is low enough that guns are scary.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads