• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Playing Around with the New Exhaustion Rules

Redbadge

Explorer
I really like the new Exhaustion rules from the new packet, and I think they have a lot of room to be expanded upon. I spent some time playing around with the rules to develop something that covers those 4e and 3.X/Pathfinder corner cases where the penalty for failure is best modeled by something other than HP damage (diseases, energy drain, ability damage, nonlethal/subdual damage, healing surge loss). Here is what I'll be playtesting in the Isle of Dread this weekend (although I think the whole system would more accuratley described as "Fatigue" rather than "Exhaustion" since the former is more subtle and nuanced to me):

Exhaustion Rules

Exhaustion is different from other effects that hamper a character in that it grows worse if an exhausted character becomes exhausted again. Exhaustion is measured in levels. Each additional application of this effect before it is completely removed increases its severity by one level or by a number of levels specified in the effect. Effects that remove exhaustion reduce its level, with all exhaustion effects disappearing if a character’s exhaustion is reduced below level 1. Resting for 8 hours and receiving sufficient food and drink for a day reduces a character’s exhaustion level by one.

Levels of exhaustion represent not only weariness or fatigue, but also blood loss, traumatic injury, disease, energy drain, or other long term hindrances. Examples of effects that increase a character’s exhaustion level include:

• Failing a series of consecutive ability checks, such as trying and failing multiple times to break a chain, pick a lock, search a room, or decipher a written code before taking a short rest. The DM might set the Constitution Save DC equal to the number of failures. Alternatively, failing a skill challenge can increase exhaustion by one or more levels.
  • Using a series of checks or attack rolls to hack through a three-foot thick stone wall, regardless of success or failure.
  • Failing a death saving throw.
  • Failing a Constitution check, such as March Overland for 12 Hours in a Day (DC 15), Stay Awake for 40 Hours (DC 20), Swim for an Hour Straight (DC 20), March Overland for Eighteen Hours in a Day ((DC 25), Swim for Three Hours Straight (DC 25), or March Overland for Twenty-Four Hours (DC 30)
  • Failing a check or save against the environment, such as Extreme Heat or Cold, High Altitude, or Smoke Inhalation.
  • Failing a Constitution Save or automatic failure against dehydration.
  • Failing a Constitution Save or automatic failure against starvation.
  • Failing a Constitution Save against drowning or suffocation.
  • Counting, cataloging, and securing the entire contents of a dragon hoard in one day without multiple short rests (DC 15 Constitution Save).
  • Sleeping in armor (DC 10/15/20 Constitution Save).
  • Being encumbered for more than 1 hour, or using your push, drag, or lift weight (between 2x and 5x unencumbered carry weight) for more than 1 minute (DC 15 Constitution Save).
  • Keeping watch for more than 2 hours (DC 15 Constitution Save).
  • Having a long rest interrupted by a major encounter (DC 15 Constitution Save).
  • Wight’s Energy Drain
  • Ray of Enfeeblement
  • Otto’s Irresistible Dance
  • Some types of poison
  • Some types of disease
  • [Conversion]: Any 4e effect that causes healing surge loss or any 3.X effect that causes energy drain or damage

Examples of effects that decrease a character’s exhaustion level include:

• Resting for 8 hours and receiving sufficient food and drink for a day reduces a character’s exhaustion level by one.
  • Lesser Restoration, Greater Restoration, Heal
  • Lay on Hands (Expend 15 HP without healing)
  • Expend a HD during a short rest without regaining any HP
  • Some types of potions

Exhaustion Chart: (Since there are many more sources of exhaustion, I've altered and expanded the Exhaustion track):

Level 0. The character is not suffering any level of exhaustion.

Level 1+. The character cannot benefit from advantage on any attacks, checks, or saves.

Level 2+. The character has disadvantage on all attacks and cannot maintain concentration on spells. Casting a spell requires a DC 10 Constitution check, or the spell is lost.

Level 3+. The character has disadvantage on all checks and saving throws.

Level 4+. The character’s speed and maximum hit points are reduced to half.

Level 5+. The character cannot attack or cast spells.

Level 6. The character drops to 1 hit point, cannot regain hit points, and has a speed of 5 feet.

Level 7. The character dies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads