Permanency and Dispel Magic

kreynolds

First Post
OK. I just don't wanna bother lookin' in my books right now. When you successfully dispel a permanent spell on someone, is it completely dispelled or just suppressed for 1d4 rounds like a magic item?

gamecat

Explorer
It's dispelled, old chap. I house rule: Magic permanencies can only be used for the listed spells, but are suppressed for 1d4 rounds; Psionics: any power can be incarnated, but are gone when hit with negate psionics.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Mr.Binx said:
Hence the usefulness of item-creation feats. :D

Hence the usefulness of my Imbuement rules. Don't wanna simply make a spell permanent? Don't wanna make an item that could be stolen? No problem! Just apply the magic directly to yourself or create an item that becomes a part of you, granting you the equivalent spell effect as an extraordinary ability, spell-like ability, or supernatural ability! :D

gfunk

First Post
Keep in mind however, when you use Permanency to cast spells on yourself, the dispel DC is 15 + caster level (instead of the usual 11+). Also, it is impossible for lower level casters to dispel the permanency.

Cloudgatherer

First Post
Mr.Binx said:
Hence the usefulness of item-creation feats. :D

My house rule is "negated for 1d4 rounds" also. The usefulness of the item creation feats is the "cheap" XP cost. 500 * (Spell level) is insanely high amount of XP points. Consider permanent detect magic (500 XP) versus glasses of magic detection (500 GP and 40 XP) which can effectively do the same thing. That's quite a savings!

Dr_Rictus

First Post
This topic has been hashed over and over again. That said, if you're going to compare the costs of permanency to magic items, do it to magic items that don't occupy slots.

kreynolds

First Post
Honestly, I don't care one way or the other if they're dispelled or suppressed, but I needed to know for a solo game I run with a sorcerer/rogue on a weekly basis.

(And yes, just in case any of you are wondering, I told her about the whole half cost to wealth magic item thing. She laughed really hard and really loud. :) )

Iku Rex

Explorer
gfunk said:
Keep in mind however, when you use Permanency to cast spells on yourself, the dispel DC is 15 + caster level (instead of the usual 11+).
The dispel DC is 11 + caster level. (Not sure where you got the 15+ from...)

Remove ads