• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Setting: Map up!

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
There's a town in New Mexico that used to be called Hot Springs but was renamed Truth or Consequences in order to get the game show to be broadcast from there.

True story.

kenobi65

First Post
demiurge1138 said:
Me, I'm more bugged by the "Gnarly Woods". Do they lead to the "Totally Tubular Hills"?

I play in Living Greyhawk; my region (Verbobonc) borders on the Gnarley Forest. I've played with two guys who play totally Gnarley wood elves (named "Dude" and "Dude"); they both talk with accents like Bill and Ted (or maybe Spicoli from "Fast Times at Ridgemont High").

kenobi65

First Post
Mystaros said:
"Chicago" is apparently derived from the local native word for the area, Shikaakwa or Checagou, or "Wild Leeks," which referred to the area being a stinky marshland filled with wild leeks. So on a fantasy map of America, "Chicago" might be named "Stink Marsh City."

There is absolutely no truth to the rumor that "Chicago" actually translates as "City of the Convicted Government Officials". ;)

helium3

First Post
ColonelHardisson said:
See, I knew nobody reads my posts. See post 53.

Yep. I see that kind of stuff on here all the time. It's easy to miss posts when you have to scroll down and read all of them.

Greg V

First Post
The best name ever was this town in Arizona called Truth or Dare or something. Anyway, I think it was named after a game show. Maybe it was New Mexico....

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Thank you for replying Mr. Jacobs.

I am having the Devil's own time trying to figure out the wind currents looking at that map, it does not look like enough moisture laden air would reach the fertile areas to make them green. (Then again, my favorite design for a continent is South America - where the earth god, the fire god, the air god, and the water god all got together to make a RIVER!)

Yeah, there are those of us who do pay attention to such things, perhaps not all that many of us, but...

As for silly names - Scarred Lands wins with Perforated Plains. The urge to make the lost city of Tjer Hejer (tear here) was noticeable.

Here in Maine we have Mount Katahdin. Translation? Biggest Mountain.

The Auld Grump

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads