• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder - confused about all the products

johnnype

First Post
Can anyone explain how one should approach all the different Pathfinder products Paizo is publishing?

I canceled my subscription around the time Chapter 2 of the first AP was released and now I see that much has happened since and the list of product to be released is, frankly, mind boggling. Maps, adventures, city books, I think they are even going to release a hardcover campaign setting. Where does one start? How much of it is overlap? What's good and what's not? Has Paizo decided to go with 4th edition or are they sticking with 3.5?

DragonBelow

Adventurer
johnnype said:
Can anyone explain how one should approach all the different Pathfinder products Paizo is publishing?

I canceled my subscription around the time Chapter 2 of the first AP was released and now I see that much has happened since and the list of product to be released is, frankly, mind boggling. Maps, adventures, city books, I think they are even going to release a hardcover campaign setting. Where does one start? How much of it is overlap? What's good and what's not? Has Paizo decided to go with 4th edition or are they sticking with 3.5?

Let me try

1) There are the Adventure Paths, known as Pathfinder, the 2nd AP is just shipping.
2) There are Modules, formerly GameMastery Modules, now known as Pathfinder Modules.
3) Pathfinder Chronicles, accessories for your campaigns set in Golarion aimed toward
DMs.
4) Pathfinder Companion, short books aimed mostly at Players.

1 and 2 are pretty much stand alone, you don't need 3 and 4, but they are supposed to enhance the experience. 3 and 4 are also useful if you want to run your own campaigns.

roguerouge

First Post
Paizo's current slate of modules and adventure paths are 3.5, due to various WotC delays.

I recommend the following (beware of mild spoilers):

Pathfinder #2—Rise of the Runelords Chapter 2: "The Skinsaw Murders" (great haunted house)

Pathfinder #3—Rise of the Runelords Chapter 3: "The Hook Mountain Massacre" (Great hill-billy Hill Giant scenario)

GameMastery Module D0: Hollow's Last Hope (Simple little module with a good adventure hook)

GameMastery Module D1: Crown of the Kobold King (part two of that scenario, with some strong hooks connecting the players to the town)

GameMastery Module E1: Carnival of Tears (Sleigh Rides of Terror! Blood Sculptures! Animated Wood Chippers! And it's also in Falcon's Hollow)

GameMastery Module J3: Crucible of Chaos (Good exploration scenario for mid-level characters)

GameMastery Module U2: Hangman's Noose (Good intro mystery adventure)

Rauol_Duke

First Post
to sum up...

To add to what was posted above, I'll quote myself from a previous thread...

me said:
Pathfinder: 96-page, full-color monthly adventure path book (each path completes in 6 issues). Includes adventure + articles relating to the adventure path & Golarion.

Pathfinder Chronicles: Additional DM-related guides and products meant to enhance running a game in Golarion. Release schedule varies.

Pathfinder Modules: (formerly GameMastery Modules) Bimonthly 32-page, full-color adventure module set in Golarion - not directly associated with the Pathfinder Adventure Paths.

Pathfinder Companion: Bimonthly 32-page book geared towards player-related information. Although it looks like some of the products will coincide thematically with the current adventure path, not all will be directly AP-related.

Paizo has not seen the 4E rules or GSL yet, so they have no made a decision on going 4E or staying 3.5

Festivus

First Post
Don't forget the non-system specific Item Cards. Those are also in the GameMastery line. They have specific sets tied to each Pathfinder story arc with items you might find in that adventure (e.g. Dogslicer weaponry).

Erik Mona

Adventurer
DragonBelow said:
1) There are the Adventure Paths, known as Pathfinder, the 2nd AP is just shipping.
2) There are Modules, formerly GameMastery Modules, now known as Pathfinder Modules.
3) Pathfinder Chronicles, accessories for your campaigns set in Golarion aimed toward
DMs.
4) Pathfinder Companion, short books aimed mostly at Players.

That's a pretty good summary!

If anyone has questions about specific products I'm more than happy to provide answers!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Nyarlathotep

Explorer
Erik Mona said:
If anyone has questions about specific products I'm more than happy to provide answers!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

Why oh why didn't my stuff ship today! I have the weekend off and won't be able to read the PDF's for all the Pathfinder products! Woe is me!

:)

Oh... you mean real questions.

JoeGKushner

First Post
And don't forget the minis line.

I'm curious to see how that works. I just can't see them ever catching up to current adventurers/modules if they continue at the clip it's going now.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads