• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Companion

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Paizo has announced the Pathfinder Companion, a 32-page bimonthly resource for players and GM's.

Vic Wertz at paizo.com said:
Paizo is pleased to announce the introduction of the Pathfinder Companion, a bimonthly 32-page book for players and Game Masters alike.

Each volume explores a major theme in the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting, with expanded regional gazetteers, new player character options, and organizational overviews to help players flesh out their character backgrounds and to provide players and Game Masters with new sources for campaign intrigue.

In August, we'll launch the series with Pathfinder Companion: Second Darkness, which serves as a player's guide to the third Pathfinder Adventure Path, including an overview of Varisia’s northern frontier, including never-before-revealed information about the mysterious elves of the Mierani Forest and the haunted ruins of Celwynvian, as well as a complete gazetteer of the scoundrel city of Riddleport.

We want everyone to give Pathfinder Companion a try, so we'll be sending the first volume FREE along with subscriber copies of Pathfinder #13, the first installment of the Second Darkness Adventure Path.

In October, we've got Pathfinder Companion: Elves of Golarion, which provides a comprehensive overview of elven societies in the Pathfinder Chronicles campaign setting.

December will see the release of Pathfinder Companion: Osirion, Land of Pharaohs, which provides a comprehensive overview of Osirion from its star-crossed ancient history, to its treacherous modern politics. A complete gazetteer of the nation’s teeming, monument-laden capital of Sothis provides a great resource for player characters from—and for Game Masters running campaigns set in—the pulp-inspired nation of Osirion.

Each 32-page volume is priced at $9.99, and an ongoing subscription is available. Subscribers will be able to download a PDF of each volume as it ships—a $6.99 value—for FREE! And, as always, if you have other Paizo subscriptions, you can combine them to save money on shipping.

Don't forget that Pathfinder Adventure Path subscribers get the Pathfinder Advantage—a 15% discount from MSRP—even on subscription products, so you'll save even more.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Hmmm...

Not sure if I like this or not.

It means that there would be 3 issues per pathfinder adventure path. I'd rather have a 96-page companion product for $20 (same price as pathfinder) rather than three 32-page products for $30.

Of course, if the third Pathfinder is 4E, then it's a moot point as it won't be for me anyway, but if they stay 3.5, then I have to think about it.

I'm a bit worried about getting "Pathfinder Overload" with regard to all of the Pathfinder Chronicles companion products that are coming out in addition to the actual adventures (which also have supplementary content in them).

I'm sure the content will be good, but I'd rather see fewer products with more in them.

Rauol_Duke

First Post
I think the idea is to have the Pathfinder Companion feature more player-related stuff on a bimonthly schedule and have the off months feature the Pathfinder Modules (formerly GameMastery Modules) which is bimonthly also.

So, for those counting:

Pathfinder: 96-page, full-color monthly adventure path book (each path completes in 6 issues). Includes adventure + articles relating to the adventure path & Golarion.

Pathfinder Chronicles: Additional DM-related guides and products meant to enhance running a game in Golarion. Release schedule varies.

Pathfinder Modules: (formerly GameMastery Modules) Bimonthly 32-page, full-color adventure module set in Golarion - not directly associated with the Pathfinder Adventure Paths.

Pathfinder Companion: Bimonthly 32-page book geared towards player-related information. Although it looks like some of the products will coincide thematically with the current adventure path, not all will be directly AP-related.

So, that 4 different product lines that support Golarion.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Rauol_Duke said:
I think the idea is to have the Pathfinder Companion feature more player-related stuff on a bimonthly schedule and have the off months feature the Pathfinder Modules (formerly GameMastery Modules) which is bimonthly also.

Pathfinder Modules: (formerly GameMastery Modules) Bimonthly 32-page, full-color adventure module set in Golarion - not directly associated with the Pathfinder Adventure Paths.

When does the name change (gamemastery to pathfinder) take effect?

That's a bit of a Pathfinder overload for me. Just getting the Pathfinder AP's was pretty expensive. I definitely wouldn't be able to afford all the rest of the stuff on top of that. I wonder if Paizo are putting too many eggs in the one basket here. I'm sure they know what they're doing though. If anything they are definitely not stupid.

Olaf the Stout

Rauol_Duke

First Post
Olaf the Stout said:
I wonder if Paizo are putting too many eggs in the one basket here. I'm sure they know what they're doing though. If anything they are definitely not stupid.

Many of the things they have introduced or changed over the last six months - gezateers, hardback campiagn setting, AP specific minis, player-related material, etc. - has been in reaction to numerous requests from fans, so I'm hoping it will be successful, since it was asked for again and again.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Rauol_Duke said:
Many of the things they have introduced or changed over the last six months - gezateers, hardback campiagn setting, AP specific minis, player-related material, etc. - has been in reaction to numerous requests from fans, so I'm hoping it will be successful, since it was asked for again and again.
I'm hoping the very vocal fans are representative of the less vocal ones. Paizo seems to be counting on that being the case.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads