• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder - Bestiary

Wik

First Post
Okay. I'm in love with the bestiary article in PATHFINDER.

Since I hope to play in the game, I'm doing my best to not actually read the adventure (although I might buckle soon if I can't find a GM!). But I've been reading the bestiary, because, well... I bought the book, and I need to read *something*!

There are some damned cool features in the bestiary. For starters, adventure ideas are given for how to include the monsters into the path (so while not every monster is in the path as written, there are ways to throw critters you like into the game). That's a nice feature, and it makes these extra monsters more than just "extra monsters".

Also, since each chapter of the PDF is in it's own file, it's really very easy to just print off each section and put it in it's own binder (which is what I'm going to do, as soon as I get some more printer paper).

The stat block is also very well-done, with all of the info arranged in an intuitive manner that makes running the critter comparably easy (from what I see). I like it.

Another great feature? A height bar where all the illustrations of the monsters are arranged, to scale, next to each other. It gives you an idea of exactly how big a Goblin Snake is, for example (about three feet tall).

As for the critters themselves... they're pretty cool, and they fill interesting niches. Some are relatively "normal" and maybe a bit boring (Giant Geckoes and Goblin Dogs seem like they've been done before), while others are just plain *Cool* (the Attic Whisperer is probably going to inspire 100 adventures in my games... they're probably the coolest undead I've seen in a while. I want to make an adventure with them right now!)

So, yeah, I'm officially a pathfinder fan.

Oh, as an aside, if you are a player and want to read more of the articles, the Pathfinder Journal one is player-safe (actually probably required reading for anyone who wants to play a PC belonging to the Pathfinder org).

The Thassilon article is probably not - well, the sidebars are definitely not player safe since they outline the whole first adventure path (about a paragraph on each adventure). The main article itself reveals quite a bit of ancient history. Might be spoilers for players, but mostly background stuff and generally "Hey, this is the main bad guy" which isn't too difficult to miss. Actually, if someone is playing a character really into obscure ancient lore, it might be good reading - ignoring the sidebars, of course.

Haven't read the Sandpoint article yet, so I don't know. But after scanning it over, I'm guessing it's probably player-safe for most any PC that is based in that city. Probably has more info on some of the movers and shakers that a PC would probably know, but I don't think it would be anything that would outright spoil the adventure path. Plus the more players know about the city, the more likely they are to interact with it.

Garnfellow

Explorer
Yeah, the Pathfinder variant on the "new" statblock format is really nice, with several small but significant improvements over both the WotC and Dungeon versions. I especially like the inclusion of the tactical information, which describes what the monster will do before combat, during combat, and if faced with a morale-shaking condition.

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
You know, I wouldn't mind seeing an actual Pathfinder Bestiary book. What has really energized me about Pathfinder and Game Mastery is the new take on some classic monsters. An entire book devoted to the subject would rocketh mightily.

Maliki

First Post
Garnfellow said:
Yeah, the Pathfinder variant on the "new" statblock format is really nice, with several small but significant improvements over both the WotC and Dungeon versions. I especially like the inclusion of the tactical information, which describes what the monster will do before combat, during combat, and if faced with a morale-shaking condition.

I agree, I havn't looked at anything 3E for quite a while, and I must say these are a big improvement over what I remember.

Maliki

First Post
Dragonhelm said:
You know, I wouldn't mind seeing an actual Pathfinder Bestiary book. What has really energized me about Pathfinder and Game Mastery is the new take on some classic monsters. An entire book devoted to the subject would rocketh mightily.

Hopefully Pathfinder will take off and we will see something like this, there are already several non-AP books that expand the setting.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Dragonhelm said:
It's coming in March.

Carnivorous Ape

First Post
I'm really looking forward to both Pathfinder and the bestiary book. I am intrigued by the idea of presenting a new take on old monsters.

What classic monsters can't Paizo use? Displacer beast, mind flayer and beholder are the ones that immediately spring to mind.

Wik

First Post
Hunh. Didn't know about the bestiary book. Seems like it'd be kind of cool. Doubt I'll pick it up, though - money's kinda tight right now (I'm amazed my girlfriend is letting me keep my Pathfinder sub!)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads