• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Paladin as a PrC?

Paka said:
Anyone know a link to rules for Paladins as a PrC?

Thanks.

Well...Dragonlance has the Knights of Solamnia, which are sort of Paladins, and are also a PrC, might wanna take a gander at that, other than DL, I've never seen one...

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Issue 87 (the current issue) of Knights of the Dinner Table has an article that converts the Paladin to a 10-level PrC.

One thing that the article omitted, I noted, where any form of multiclassing restrictions. I would personally add that anyone taking the Paladin PrC can only advance in levels in the Paladin PrC and the base class(es) he had at the time of taking the PrC. No other base class levels (or new or existing PrC levels) could be taken while advancing as a Paladin, or the character can no longer advance in the Paladin PrC.

Darklone

Call of Duty ... is a pdf thingy in RPGnow, they have a 15 level paladin as PrClass thingy adapted to 3.5.

There's a free preview containing that class on their webpage.

Felon

First Post
And it would be derelict to not mention that WotC's Unearthed Arcana is supposed to offer the paladin as a PrC, as well as some other classes. Last I heard, it's supposed to be coming out next month.

Dogbrain

First Post
Paka said:
Anyone know a link to rules for Paladins as a PrC?

Thanks.

Here you go. This is based on information in the SRD, so standard disclaimers apply. The entirety of the following is designated as "Open Gaming Content". Warning, it may require application of common sense.

Paladin (Prestige)
This is a Prestige Class
Qualifications
Alignment: Lawful Good (or any Good at DM discretion)
Base Attack Bonus: +6.
Skills: Heal 5 ranks, Knowledge (religion) 2 ranks.
Feats: Cleave, Disarm, Power Attack.
Special: The character must be consecrated by a religious organization that sponsors Paladins (and thus must adhere to their code of conduct--which the DM gets to design).

Skills: As the SRD standard Paladin.
Spell Lists: As the SRD standard Paladin
All other: As the SRD standard Paladin except as is explicitly mentioned here. Whatever differs from the SRD standard Paladin is to override the SRD for the purposes of describing this Prestige Class.

Summary Tables

Table I. Basic Abilities
Level BAB Fort Will Ref
1st 1 2 0 0
2nd 2 3 0 0
3rd 3 3 1 1
4th 4 4 1 1
5th 5 4 1 1
6th 6 5 2 2
7th 7 5 2 2
8th 8 6 2 2
9th 9 6 3 3
10th 10 7 3 3

Table II. Special Abilities by level
Level Abilities 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1st Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/day, divine grace, lay on hands
2nd Aura of courage, divine health, turn undead
3rd Smite evil 2/day, special mount
4th Remove disease 1/week
5th Remove disease 2/week
6th Smite evil 3/day
7th Remove disease 3/week
8th Remove disease 4/week, smite evil 4/day
9th Remove disease 5/week
10th Smite evil 5/day

Table III. Spells by level
Level 1st 2nd 3rd 4th
1st — — — —
2nd 0 — — —
3rd 1 — — —
4th 1 0 — —
5th 1 1 0 —
6th 1 1 1 —
7th 2 1 1 0
8th 2 2 1 1
9th 3 2 2 1
10th 3 3 3 3

No muss, no fuss, no dirty yellow buildup.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Adventurer
Dogbrain,

I like your conversion! Basically 1 level of the Paladin PrCl gives the special abilities of 2 levels of the Paladin base class, right?

So caster level= level of prestige class
lay on hands= cha mod x 2 x level in prestige class

etc.

Am I right?

Dogbrain

First Post
Cheiromancer said:
Dogbrain,

I like your conversion! Basically 1 level of the Paladin PrCl gives the special abilities of 2 levels of the Paladin base class, right?

So caster level= level of prestige class
lay on hands= cha mod x 2 x level in prestige class

etc.

Am I right?

Yes on caster level, either PrC=level or PrcX2=level for lay on hands will work.

The "squashed Paladin" PrC is no more unbalancing or powered-per-level than are many "official" PrCs.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads