• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E Paizo Site is Down, Do They Have the Licence?

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
Wisdom Penalty said:
** I'm not trying to be holier than thou. I've been suspended in my day for being, according to Piratecat, a jerk. I really can't argue with him. Again, though - that shows the benefit of clear-minded and neutral moderators. Here's hoping their implementation at Paizo works wonders of a positive kind.
In addition to what Xath said, let's be fair. I generally tell people they're acting like a jerk, or that they're posting like a jerk, not that they are jerks. There are a number of people who I like despite their posting style, not necessarily because of it, and I try to be specific.

And just so folks know about Paizo - it's a message board made up of people, just like we're a message board made up of people. There are great folks, argumentative folks, and great folks who are occasionally argumentative in both places. We don't ever want to be in the position of badmouthing another site. Not only is it rude, it brings up an axiom about glass houses.

So hang out where you're happy, and don't throw stones!

Last edited:

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Wisdom Penalty said:
And that's a twofold damned shame. Shameful that moderation is required because people can't make a cohesive argument without acting like a 4-year old who had his 3E books stolen, and shameful that Paizo's boards - which had been growing into a fairly popular place on the web for like-minded nerds - are now on life support.

Wait... because you don't like it the community is on life support?

Ooooohhh kaaaaaaaay.

--Erik

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
I'm sure folks can guess where my opinion lies. If moderation makes the board more fun and useful, it's probably the right decision for them. Either way, Erik, you have my commiseration; trying to change established customs can be painful.

If there's anything we can do to help, in any way, drop me an email.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
DM_Jeff said:
Maybe. But not if the rules or the GSL straight-jackets said company's creative direction. And that, as I hear, is Paizo's biggest concern.

The rules aren't doing anything to straight-jacket creative direction. In fact it's quite the opposite. I've never seen people so prolific on posting monsters, adventures, and even classes and the like on these boards. This is before we even have the rules!

As to the GSL, sure, it's going to be more limiting in some ways, but I haven't seen the GSL yet and neither has Erik or any of the other publishers. Every time I see Erik post, he always says he's extremely frustrated with the situation and that he's reserving final judgment until he gets the GSL.

Writing comments that contain statements such as "as I hear" only further stirs the pot.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
Piratecat said:
I generally tell people they're acting like a jerk, or that they're posting like a jerk, not that they are jerks.

Hmm, I think someone needs to change the subject of a certain sticky at the top of this forum... ;)

JVisgaitis said:
Hmm, I think someone needs to change the subject of a certain sticky at the top of this forum... ;)
touche

I, for one and in as far as I know, like the direction (I guess) that the GSL is going in. Being at the bottom of the Pacific with no access to a FLGS I don't get the option to browse before I buy. I buy everything off the 'net. So I have an extensive number of 3E rule sets/campaigns which are, to be honest, cr*p (very polite version). Now I don't think that 4E GSL will increase the quality of whats out there (if it does- BONUS!). But what it will mean is that when I buy a book, like Wheel of Time RPG (which I like- not oe of the rubbish ones IMO), it won't be 60 to 80% a reprint of the OGL content. If (as seems likely) you can only refer back to the core rulebooks then they publishers can't just fill up the book with OGL content. They will have to add more than a couple of core class change tweaks, as PrC or 3 and a chapter on the campaign world...goodnews for me!

Wisdom Penalty

First Post
Erik Mona said:
Wait... because you don't like it the community is on life support?

No, not really.

I have no idea whether the number of posters or posts has decreased. My statement was based on the numerous posts of 4E-likers who said they felt unwelcome, and 4E-dislikers who said they were leaving due to the advent of moderation.

Whether those folks actually left is something I admittedly don't know.

Sorta like those folks that claim they'll never buy 4E. What people say they'll do, and what they actually do...well, I'm sure you recognize those are very two different animals.

Sorry for the confusion.

W.P.

jeffh

Adventurer
Orcus said:
Could the OP please edit the title of this thread?

In addition to being absolutely crazy speculation, the title itself (even if the thread isnt read) will contribute to rumormongering. ("Hey, didnt I read on ENworld that Paizo had the GSL?).

I'm not sure why anyone would possibly say "site is down = they have GSL" but I dont want to talk about that. Please edit the title of this thread.

Its the responsible answer to a rather irresponsible bit of speculation.
I think this post, which kind of got lost in the flood of Buffy-reference jokes at the time it was first posted, deserves more attention than it's gotten. I'll go so far as to say I'm very disappointed that neither the OP nor the mods have acted or even commented on it yet.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads