• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT, Starwars] He has seen the light... maybe...

Zappo

Explorer
A good sign... I have already heard from various sources that Attack of the Clones is much better than the Phantom Menace.

Ysgarran

Just read this weeks 'Time' magazine, they pretty much agree that Lucas has found that which was lost. They were very positive about the whole movie.

Yoda is completely computer generated this time. It turns out one of the effects they had to had was to add some flaws from the puppet version of Yoda, otherwise it wouldn't look like the real Yoda. For example, they had to add some 'floppiness' to his ears so the movements would look more like the puppet version.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
How in the world can you think it's a good sign that Lucas has revised his "marketing approach?"

Designing his movie around a marketing plan is what got us in this mess in the first place.

Designing a movie-- what used to be a work of art-- around market forces, like trying to see which way the rabbit jumps, is a profoundly stupid approach.

Here's an idea, George: Make a good film. Remember how that works?

Obviously not.

Wulf

Zappo

Explorer
Wulf Ratbane said:
How in the world can you think it's a good sign that Lucas has revised his "marketing approach?"
Why, do you think he should have stayed the same? :confused:

The marketing is one of the problems. He said he has heavily reduced the marketing. Therefore, the change is for good. Maybe not as good as some hoped, but good nonetheless.

Henry

Autoexreginated
I'll take the same tactic I took for the Fellowship of the Rings movie:

Wait until it comes out. Then bash it at your leisure. What I've been hearing from friends who have spoiled themselves (a great sacrifice to the community, which will not go unrewarded) is that it will "redeem" the Star Wars franchise from Episode I. This comes from a Star Wars fan who hated Episode I.

But then, I liked Episode I, so what do I know? :)

Florin

First Post
Wulf Ratbane said:

Designing his movie around a marketing plan is what got us in this mess in the first place.

Designing a movie-- what used to be a work of art-- around market forces, like trying to see which way the rabbit jumps, is a profoundly stupid approach.

Here's an idea, George: Make a good film. Remember how that works?

Obviously not.

Wulf

Maybe you should read closer and catch things like this:
The new film will have a "darker feel, closer to the original saga" and "no silly characters or kids", says the Lucasfilm document.

That is what I consider a good sign.

WizarDru

Adventurer
In other words, it will fulfill my hopes that it will be to Episode I what 'Empire Strikes Back' was to 'Star Wars' (although the rift will be much more significant in terms of quality).

WizarDru:
In other words, it will fulfill my hopes that it will be to Episode I what 'Empire Strikes Back' was to 'Star Wars' (although the rift will be much more significant in terms of quality).

Except that the original Star Wars was a darn good movie, while the Phantom Menace only had flashes of brilliance during an otherwise somewhat lackluster showing. And that Episode III will probably be the darkest of the new series, not Episode II.

And I have "taken one for the team" and seen spoilers. I'm pretty darn excited for May 22...

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Lucas is a marketer first and foremost, not a filmmaker. If you think otherwise, you are fooling yourself.

Yes, it's so refreshing that after a couple of years he's been able to scour the internet for the comments of disappointed fans and release a press release that addresses those concerns. Is it sinking in? I mean, in the past he's pretty much given the big F-U to his core fans, but maybe now, he's finally seen the light. It just happens to be a few weeks until opening.

I'm curious, do you think he really acknowledges the mistakes he made in Ep I, or is he simply reacting to market pressure? Do you think he gets it?

Does it make a difference to you that this "acknowledgement" of his was an internal memo addressed to licensees (I'll say it again, LICENSEES), and not to the fans.

Really, what do you think?

Wulf

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads