• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[OT] Master Tools Early 2002? Are we there yet?

Setanta

First Post
Originally posted by Twin Rose
I've heard some good on DMs familiar, at least from Second edition players, but I am afraid I haven't heard as much as I'd like to put out anything fair.

Second edition players? DMF is purely a tool for 3rd edition players. I can't imagine what use it would have for someone not using 3rd edition D&D or some other d20 game.

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
DMF is purely a tool for 3rd edition players.

Some aspects of DM's Familiar are generic enough to be used by 2nd Edition players. The Spell Database, for example, is usable for 2nd edition as much of the information (the layout) is the same. The Rules Database lets you type in anything you want. The Codex Tree for game prep is essentially a word processor that can be used for anything.

Now, the Combat Board is only of use to 3rd edition players for the most part. The Monster/PC databases wouldn't be much use either.

I have heard from a number of 2nd edition players who use it, a Gurps player or two, and a couple other systems.

RPM, for at-the-table use I am lead to believe is basically unsurpassed.

You've been misinformed. :)

Cergorach

The Laughing One
RPM, for at-the-table use I am lead to believe is basically unsurpassed.

RPM has unsurpassed potential.

It's still at the pre beta stage (thus it's still incomplete and buggy), but you can allready do amazing things with it. It's strongest point is IMHO it's customization abilities. I can add new item/spells/classes, even new rules with a minimum of fuss.

I've tried DM Familiar in the past (one of the earlier versions), it works, but doesn't leave a lot of room for customization...

DMFTodd

DM's Familiar
Cergorach said:

I've tried DM Familiar in the past (one of the earlier versions), it works, but doesn't leave a lot of room for customization...

DM's Familiar has pretty much free-form data entry. How that would "not leave a lot of room for customization" seems a little strange to me but to each his own.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
DMFTodd said:
DM's Familiar has pretty much free-form data entry. How that would "not leave a lot of room for customization" seems a little strange to me but to each his own.

My appologies for expressing myself poorly. What i meant with customization is that i can script things (from very simple to extremely complex) with RPM. If i have a class from product X i can add that class in RPM, not as a text only, but RPM will 'interpret' the data (if i entered the class correctly) and apply the D&D rules (or the rules you create yourself). Does that clarify my thoughtless response from before? I have to note though that it's been a while since i tried DM Familiar...

machine

First Post
machine said:
Howdy Everyone!

Any one 'in the know' know anything about MT's alleged early 2002 release?

I'm just curious, 'cause I'd buy it.

Have a great day!

machine.

Well, are we there yet?

machine.

:D

Last edited:

edge3343

First Post
Are we there yet?

I'd definately say no!

Willwe every get there?

I am loosing hope.

The official WOTC boards have been void of any official posting for weeks. There has been speculation and rumor going around of Peter Kim being ill/ havng surgery. So, who knows.

<---going to check the Official boards again...

WizarDru

Adventurer
A post on WOTC's boards on May 8th indicated that MasterTools is on track for a early summer release, most likely just prior to GenCon. The mapping application is gone, and now contains a character generator, monster generator, the ability to create custom domains and some other things.

We shall see.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads