• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

(OT) Buffy Germany, Finale

Vocenoctum

First Post
Well, if they wanted to split off Willow, The Wiccan Wonder, I'm sure people would watch yet a third show :)
But, there haven't been any magic-tossers of her level in the show before, and she's still young. She's just too powerful IMO. It'd be nice if she was more detection oriented, rather than tossing around damaging spells.

Even Tara has some "fling people" spells cast on demand.

::shrug::

As for the Blood connection, the energy that is/ was Dawn was the key, not the flesh and blood. Allowing the sacrifice because Dawn masquerades as a flesh creature stretches the metaphor too much for my tastes. It's more fitting the backdrop to fit the plot, rather than planning it out ahead of time IMO.

Ashtal

Vengeance Bunny
This season is a different sort of Big Bad. I don't expect Buffy to stick to 'type' over and over again. The fact that the show is in a constant state of evolution is what keeps bringing me back show after show, season after season.

Keep watching...I promise it gets more interesting. ;)

KnowTheToe

First Post
murlynd said:
I myself am a huge fan of the show, but this season has been a little slow in my opinion. Before you light the torches and grab the pitch-forks, let me explain.

This has been one of those "filler" seasons, where we take care of all the lose stuff that is laying around in the series. While I love the "super-geeks", there is no nemesis for Buffy and the gang to deal with.

And I am sorry, but this series is turning into the X-files really quickly. No one can win, there are no happy endings, no little victories for anyone, it is depressing. I am a fan of working over the heroes of the series, it shows their character, but this is getting ridiculous. How bad can these people have it? Will they ever get a clean win without someone getting mind-fried, maimed, or dead?

At least Angel is moving forward.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Brian:p

I agree this is too dark. It is one thing after another. No one laughs and the lighthearted storylines are gone. I did not like when they changed Buffy to this dark, always depressed character, now they have done it to the entire cast. The only episode I realy enjoyed this year was the musical.

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
WARNING SPOILERS!!!!!

Personally, this season reminds me of my own D&D campaigns. . .

Buffy's "big bad" is life itself - the show has a history of allegory - WIllow's witchcraft, Buffy's abusive relatiosnhip with Spike, Dawn's suffering because she is being raised by an older sister who doesn't have her own stuff together (i almost used profanity :D ), dealing with a crappy job because you have to - this is all great stuff. . . very adult stuff. . .

The Allamistako

First Post
I PERSONALLY think that the only sane person in the whole series is Spike. But then I loved Babylon 5, and cheer for the Klingons in Star Trek, so what do I know...

-Alla

murlynd

First Post
Yeah and there is another thing, Spike. When is he going to get a little pay-off? Sure he and Buffy..yeah yeah yeah..but even that is not for the reasons he wants.

If Spike is going to be bad, then let him be bad. All this time they have said, "oooh Spike killed two slayers..he is the big bad.." But Buffy punks him on a regular basis. Throw the dog a bone and let him pick a side. Spike does not wear forced neutrality well, it was cool for a while, but he needs to get on with one or the other. Is he the next hero? Or is he the real nemesis that is going to push Buffy to her limits? I like the later of the two.

I am with you Alla, I rooted for the Empire to win and I wanted Luke to turn to the dark side. Long live the villains!!!!

Brian (the wannabe super-villain):p

sword-dancer

Explorer
The Allamistako said:
Okay, no more bitching. BUT...

I visited a course that my g/f has to take (she's stuying biology), on "the developement of the human species", and you wouln't BELIEVE what we found out...

The skull of the actor who plays Angel looks JSUT LIKE the skull of a Neanderthal man...

*Sniker*

-Alla

And what?

The Neandertals are as the cro-magnon part of our ancestorship.

Master Kaul

First Post
**Partial Spoiler**

I personally love the show and think its great, but I do agree that is a bit depressing, I was anxious to see The Zan Man and Anya get married to bring some happiness to the season, but allas he left her at the alter, the only truly "moving" part that I've seen yet is Spike and Buffy, and when she broke up with him she called him William, I felt that that was an exceptional scene with tremendous emotion, I think that even my old theatre teacher would have to agree with that one.

Staffan

Legend
sword-dancer said:

And what?

The Neandertals are as the cro-magnon part of our ancestorship.
IIRC, it's more of an "uncle" on the family tree of evolution, i.e. an older relative but not a direct ancestor of modern man.

coyote6

Adventurer
CamelToe said:
I agree this is too dark. [...] The only episode I realy enjoyed this year was the musical.

Which is amusing, since the musical more-or-less predicted the season (Tara sang: "Everything is turning out so dark"), in many ways.

Tabula Rasa was, IMO, the funniest episode this year, what with "Randy Giles" and all.

Remove ads