• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oriental Adventures Character Help

T. D. Mischke

First Post
I will soon be joining a campaign that is based out of Oriental Adventures rules. I looked through the book a little recnetly, but nothing really jumped out at me. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to make? The party will have two other characters, but I'm not sure what they are. All I know is ther aint no fightin' force. I've played an array of characters, but I'm not big on spellcasters. Folks, I in the lurch here. I need help. I need a first level character ieda fast. Help!

Tsyr

Explorer
Go for a Sohei. Soheis (Hmmm... Would it be Soheis, Sohei, Sohi... what's the plural of that?) are cool.

Go for a Hengenyoki Sohei if your DM allows it, otherwise, try a bamboo spirit folk.

Olive

Explorer
Bladedancer!!!

I am totally enamouredwith the Bladedancer PrC. as a result, i'd be playing a character solely focused on getting this. so start as a monk fighter, then take a level of wu jen, then monk till 11th level.

i think thats the way to do it anyway...

Villano

First Post
Re: Bladedancer!!!

Olive said:
I am totally enamouredwith the Bladedancer PrC. as a result, i'd be playing a character solely focused on getting this. so start as a monk fighter, then take a level of wu jen, then monk till 11th level.

i think thats the way to do it anyway...

Bladedancers are cool, but if you go that route, I'd suggest starting with a vanara monk or shaman. The vanara (the monkey people) get a WIS bonus and get massive bonuses to climb. And with a shaman, you get unarmed attacks, like a monk, but your spellcasting right from the beginning.

Wolf72

Explorer
Tsyr said:
Go for a Sohei. Soheis (Hmmm... Would it be Soheis, Sohei, Sohi... what's the plural of that?) are cool.

Go for a Hengenyoki Sohei if your DM allows it, otherwise, try a bamboo spirit folk.

This one or a monk ... or this and monk as multiclass (haven't checked, but hopefully there's no alignment conflict)

Chun-tzu

First Post
If you're in it for the long haul, you can create monk who masters ALL SIX fighting styles (counting Mighty Works twice) in just 19 levels. To do this, you have to plan out all 19 levels and what feats you're going to take, because you literally do not have a single feat to spare, and must be sure to take the proper prerequisites.

You need 6 levels of monk, 9 levels of Shintao monk PrC, 2 levels of fighter and 2 levels of psychic warrior. You have to be Lawful Good to qualify for Shintao monk. You ultimately need Str 15+, Dex 15+, Wis 17+ and Cha 13+ to get all the feats. This is possible with a 28-point buy, and appropriate level bonuses, if you take an 8 in Int or Con. You also have to be human, for the bonus human feat (and if monk is your favored class, you do not take any XP hits due to multiclassing). You need at least 3 levels of monk to classify for Shintao monk, and the other 3 levels of monk are to get Improved Trip without having the Expertise feat (remember, feats are at a premium with this character).

The bonus feats have to be chosen very carefully. Only a few of the martial arts feats can be taken as fighter or psychic warrior bonus feats. And you have to choose the Shintao monk bonus feats carefully, too. The feats that cannot be taken as fighter or Shintao bonus feats you have to take with your level feats.

Mighty Works Mastery I is possibly the best style to master first, since it can be mastered by a low level character and the +2 AC bonus is most helpful at low levels. Meditation of War Mastery may have to come last, given the high Wis requirements.

Assuming you take your 20th level as Shintao monk (which is your best choice for this character), you compare quite well with a Monk L20. In exchange for the extra feats you gained as a fighter and psychic warrior, your UBAB is a little worse +15/+8/+5/+2 instead of +15/+12/+9/+6/+3, AC Bonus is +3 instead of +4, and Unarmored speed is 80 ft. instead of 90 ft. Unarmed damage is still 1d20 (at level 20). Saves are +16/+10/+10 instead of +12/+12/+12. With the right magic items, this character could be the ultimate D&D martial arts character (although you might still get your butt kicked by a Fighter L20).

Last edited:

Troll

First Post
Well, you can't go wrong with a Samurai. Personally, I love the Iaijutsu Master style. The pinacle of focus and confidence who strikes with blinding speed.

Best options for that guy is human, high dex and cha, with quick draw for one feat, and for your ancestor feat take something like gifted general - which gives a +2 bonus to initiative abd +2 bonus to some skill. Follow up with improved initiative with your next feet.

Troll

T. D. Mischke

First Post
Thansk for the help. I think samurai sounds like a plan. I briefly considered a nezumi rogue who would prc into a poison fist. Anyone played any of the OA races yet?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads