• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Orc miniatures

Shadowdragon

Explorer
I'm looking for a line of orc miniatures to use as characters, villains, and minions in a fantasy European campaign I'm going to be running. I'd like to find orcs that are more civilized and organised than the usual "stupid savages" most mini companies make. Something more like the hobgoblins from D&D, or the Nothrog from the Warlords ccg. Reaper has a couple decent half-orc miniatures I can use, but I'd like to find more. So, if you have any suggestions please post them here.

Davelozzi

Explorer
If you can still find them, the orcs from the Lord or the Rings mini game that Games Workshop had out a few years back are great. (I'm talking about the metal mini game, not the collectible plastic version).

phindar

First Post
Actually, the uruk-hai from the plastic LOTR game aren't that bad either. I'm using one currently as my half-orc fighter/barbarian in my friend's Eberron game. The minis are a little bigger than D&D minis, but when you're talking about big, scary uruk-hai, that works. I just pried it off its clicky base and stuck it on a 1" disk, and it was good to go.

DDM orcs I've never much liked. They look more like Planet of the Apes style monkey men. Which is good as I've always intended to include a race of super-intelligent gorillas to my game (led by my Gorilla Grodd heroclix mini).

Shadowdragon

Explorer
I thought the GW LotR minis were supposed to be really small, like 25mm or even smaller. Aren't DDM minis supposed to be closer to 28-30mm? I'm actually looking for 28-30mm miniatures (should have mentioned that in my first post, sorry). I'll check out both the GW Uruk-Hai and the DDM hobgoblins to see what they're like and if they match the scale of the reaper humans and elves I'm using. Although the Confrontation orcs look really good (even with their oddly short legs) they're still a little too much like savage barbarians in appearance, what with the lack of armour and crude weapons.

phindar

First Post
The metal LOTR minis are a little smaller than most minis, but the plastic ones are made for some sort of clicky-base game and are a little bigger, I'd say probably 30mm working from memory. The bases are inch and a half hexagons, but the minis pry off easy enough to attach to a standard base.

Shadowdragon

Explorer
tauaru said:
I am a fan of the reaper collection their site has a great figure finder (www.reapermini.com). I have had great luck on ebay finding stuff that my LGS doesn't have.

I managed to find a couple half-orc minis that work really well, but only a couple and nothing that would work as minions (soldiers, archers, brigands, etc). I still need other sources for civilized orcs.

I'll check out those plastic LotR minis. If anything they would be a good source of minions, which don't have to look as good as character/villain miniatures and need to be cheap so I can get lots of them.

6pakofdwarves

First Post
Reaper is making a prepainted plastic miniatures line. With Orcs.

RPRppm.jpg

Remove ads