• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Opinions on the 4E preview books...

Your Opinion on the 4E preview books:

• Races and Classes: I like!

Votes: 158 65.3%
  • Races and Classes: I hate!

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • Worlds and Monsters: I like!

Votes: 131 54.1%
  • Worlds and Monsters: I hate!

Votes: 41 16.9%
  • What Preview books?

Votes: 43 17.8%

Drkfathr1

First Post
Just wondering, now that both the Races and Classes and Worlds and Monsters books are out, what everyone's opinions are on them?

Also curious if these books have changed anyone's mind in regards to their feelings on 4E in general (positively or negatively)

Insight

Adventurer
I only have R&C so far (W&M is supposed to be coming in the mail soon), but my opinion hasn't changed all that much. Given that R&C has no rules at all, and we all know that at least some of it is outdated based on changes made since R&C went to press, I have a pretty good feeling about 4E. What I like more than anything else is that certain things will be cleaned up, but to what extent, I'm not sure. I also like the probability that 'dead levels' are gone, and that makes me happy.

Filcher

First Post
I like them ... but damn, a little more content would be gold. Like a scan of PC sheet used in a 4E playtest, or something. Really show us the guts instead of polished press announcements. D&D EXP is a month away so it's not like a lot of beans would be spilled.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
I've read the first and flipped through the second and I can see where people would find these books interesting. Also from a design perspective you can see the direction they are trying to take D&D. Unfortunately it's not a direction that I'm interested in supporting or RUNNING a game in. I get the feeling that the it's a game that would be hella fun for players but not so much for DM's who like to challenge PC's and also not for players who dont like being handled with kid's gloves.

catsclaw227

First Post
I just got Worlds and Monsters and I really like it. The art is really nice and there's some nice explanations about why the new look for Green Dragons, dragons in general, the PoL setting, planes, etc. Very nicely done.

PoeticJustice

First Post
I'm not a fan of 4E and I don't plan on switching, but I will say this for Worlds and Monsters...

It has hands-down the best collection of landscapes I've ever seen in any D&D ever.

Like I said, I'm not planning to jump to 4E, but if Eberron artwork gets similar treatment, I might pick it up.

Lord Fyre

First Post
Filcher said:
I like them ... but damn, a little more content would be gold. Like a scan of PC sheet used in a 4E playtest, or something. Really show us the guts instead of polished press announcements. D&D EXP is a month away so it's not like a lot of beans would be spilled.

I do not like them. Mostly because they are overpriced for what they are, which are extended advertisments for 4th Edition.

And, if they were going to try to make us pay for something like that - They should have continued the print version of Dragon (with Pazio) and spread it over a number of issues.

ShinHakkaider

Adventurer
Lord Fyre said:
And, if they were going to try to make us pay for something like that - They should have continued the print version of Dragon (with Pazio) and spread it over a number of issues.

There are quite a few gamers that I've spoken to who have said the same thing. It's part of the reason why I havent picked up either book. Everything in those books would have been in Dragon Magazine, spread out over a few months of course. I guess WOTC rationalized that thier fanbase for 4E would want everything in one (or two as it were) fell swoop.

am181d

Adventurer
PoeticJustice said:
It has hands-down the best collection of landscapes I've ever seen in any D&D ever.

Can you talk about this a little bit more? I haven't heard any discussion about the art in the book yet.

catsclaw227

First Post
am181d said:
Can you talk about this a little bit more? I haven't heard any discussion about the art in the book yet.
There are some geographical images, like the elemental chaos, astra sea, drow city, etc. They are really nice. You know, a few WAR images not-withstanding, the art direction for 4e is great. The art in these books is pretty good, especially Worlds & Monsters. Soon, when the gallery goes up, you'll see what I mean.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads