• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oots 572

Rechan

Adventurer
Darn that wiley Oracle.

Although, I do confess a certain wince every time they break the 4th wall. Yes, it's tongue in cheek, but still.

Ashardalon

First Post
Already up? Has Rich learned to project his thoughts into his computer or something?

Hurray for Roy retaining his memory in heaven. Will he retain it after being raised, though?

I can't help but think that the oracle did know that Roy would keep his memory, and is being sneaky about something.

Also, I've noticed that the oracle has never used the term "dead" when refering to Belkar. We just know that he "isn't long for this world" and "will draw his last breath". I'm thinking planar travel and/or changing into some non-breathing creature are both options. Than again, maybe he'll just die. A year in-comic lasts a pretty long time IRL.

freyar

Extradimensional Explorer
I can't help but think that the oracle did know that Roy would keep his memory, and is being sneaky about something.

Also, I've noticed that the oracle has never used the term "dead" when refering to Belkar. We just know that he "isn't long for this world" and "will draw his last breath". I'm thinking planar travel and/or changing into some non-breathing creature are both options. Than again, maybe he'll just die. A year in-comic lasts a pretty long time IRL.
I have to agree with you; I think the oracle is definitely being sneaky about something with Roy's memory. As for Belkar, something undead could make a lot of sense, too.

SPoD

First Post
If it were simply that he was going to be undead, the Oracle wouldn't need to dance around the words "die" or "death". He could still say, "Belkar will die," knowing that he would continue to be an active member of the party. Hell, Belkar could be cut up into a thousand pieces and still come back a ghost.

The careful wording implies something else...like becoming a creature that doesn't need to breathe without actually dying first. Maybe he'll be recruited to be a demon?

paradox42

First Post
Yeah, my first thought on the latest Belkar prophecy was some sort of undead. After all, Belkar himself would probably love to go that route, particularly if it's some sort of template that lets him keep his mind like Vampire. Also, if it's his "last breath ever," that implies that nobody will ever, ever try to Raise him (seems unlikely to me, as he is a PC even if an Evil one)... or that he'll acquire some condition that prevents him from being raised (for example, becoming undead).

Alternately, he might go through a Gate into the Snarl's domain and get snuffed by the Ubermonster, and we've already seen that that beast prevents any sort of raising magic from working.

As for the Oracle, I do have to agree with Ashardalon: will Roy keep his memories of the afterlife after he gets Raised? Surely the Oracle knows, given how many times he's apparently died and been brought back.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Didn't the earlier visit to the oracle show him saying Belkar should really treasure his next birthday? I think in this case dead could mean dead. Maybe Belkar does a Not-So-Heroic Sacrifice to stop the Snarl, as that Dwarf Barbarian did in the first battle vs. the Snarl?

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads