• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Oi! But my wings be expensive!

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Could someone explain to me why a Winged Mask costs 13,000gp while Wings of Flying cost 20,000+ ? The wings have to deal with a 20ft span while the mask sheds light. Otherwise, they look identical. Am I missing something or is this just standard Forgotten Realms power inflation?

Oni

First Post
Well I personally think the shedding light thing is a big drawback, I wouldn't really be inclined to make the mask. The thing is it makes you very easy to spot, and one of the big advantages of flying is some of the sneakyness it can add. The mask makes certian common tactics much less feasible, i.e. flying and improved invis, or even as a scouting device. If your in a place where you can't use the cloak because of the wingspan then it is not unlikely that flying may not afford you much of an advantage there anyway because of tight quarters. I wouldn't call this "Standard Forgotten Realms power inflation" as you so quaintly put it.

dvvega

Explorer
Well if the reason you use the wings/mask is to fly indefinately then the following is useless.

However if you use them simply to fly in battle and tactical situatiuons, make yourself a cloak of "Fly" that is either charged or is command word activated. It's cheaper, and does most of what you need.

This is the one "backdoor" in magic items.

For example, a buffing spell lasts for 1 hour/level. If you ignore sleepy time, "early morning prep time" you could have a command word activiated item that lasts for hours rather than forking out for permanent bonuses.

Oni

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Gosh, if only there was some way I could counter or dispel that zero-level spell effect...

If you are speaking of Darkness I don't believe that you get off that easy. First of all since the Winged Mask doesn't actually cast Light you cannot use the counter function of Darkness. You could just cast Darkness on the mask, but then your just a big black blob that can't see where it's going as Light is not powerful enough to cancel out darkness, but is instead consumed. Lastly you could try to dispel the effects of light on the mask, but as it is a permanent function I can only assume that it would begin functioning again in 1d4 rounds just as a targetted Dispel Magic on any permanent magic item (as there is no precedent that I know of for a different duration).

Gromm

First Post
Oni said:

If you are speaking of Darkness I don't believe that you get off that easy. First of all since the Winged Mask doesn't actually cast Light you cannot use the counter function of Darkness. You could just cast Darkness on the mask, but then your just a big black blob that can't see where it's going as Light is not powerful enough to cancel out darkness, but is instead consumed. Lastly you could try to dispel the effects of light on the mask, but as it is a permanent function I can only assume that it would begin functioning again in 1d4 rounds just as a targetted Dispel Magic on any permanent magic item (as there is no precedent that I know of for a different duration).

Not to mention you wouldn't be flying anymore since you suppressed the item.

Oni

First Post
Gromm said:

Not to mention you wouldn't be flying anymore since you suppressed the item.

Well I was assuming that they were attempting to dispel only the Light portion of the item's power via Darkness, thus getting around the inherent flaw in the item.

Bonedagger

First Post
Ki Ryn said:
Could someone explain to me why a Winged Mask costs 13,000gp while Wings of Flying cost 20,000+ ? The wings have to deal with a 20ft span while the mask sheds light. Otherwise, they look identical. Am I missing something or is this just standard Forgotten Realms power inflation?

Doesn't Wings of Flying have a marketprice of 5500 gp?

0-hr

Starship Cartographer
Wings have been erratta'ed.

I'm not at all convinced that a simple Darkness spell would not counter or dispel the light effect on the mask. It says that you shed light as a Light spell. And the Darkness description says it can counter or dispel a Light spell. By "counter", are you saying that they mean "counterspell" rather than "cancel out effects for the duration". I guess that's plausible, but I'd certainly like to know for sure since I'm going to have to by one of those tacky masks rather than the stylish wings now. :(

I don't particularily disagree that the mask should be 13,000gp. It's just that cost of the Wings of Flying (not to mention the Boots of Speed and Winged Shield) seem way to high in comparison. Perhaps in munchkin campaigns the Light is enough of a detriment. (shrug)

Remove ads