• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E OGL Sources of Monsters for Pathfinder (Avadnu?)

Voadam

Legend
Complete Minions by Bation Press is another 100% OGC 3.5 monster collection. Asherake, Dover (Dog men to drive the goblins crazy), Forlorn, Ash Maidens, etc. there is a lot of good stuff to use from there.

Soel

First Post
They've mentioned using Tome of Horrors, and Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary. I'm hoping they'll add books like Liber Bestarius, Book of Templates, Denizens of Avadnu, Complete Minions, Book of Fiends...

Probably going to be very small bits at first, since they're gonna be bringing new monsters to the table every month.

James Jacobs

Adventurer
Voadam said:
Complete Minions by Bation Press is another 100% OGC 3.5 monster collection. Asherake, Dover (Dog men to drive the goblins crazy), Forlorn, Ash Maidens, etc. there is a lot of good stuff to use from there.

Woah... that reminds me of that Villians book I wrote for Bastion Press back in the day. HA! I can use some of that stuff in Pathfinder! The triumphant return of the demon lord Zuratorkul! Dinosaur Cultists and demented gnomes! Giant sharks and Missy Mangutter! SELF-CANNIBILISM FOR THE WIN!

Ahem... sorry. It's late and I just finished writing like 9,000 words about Demogorgon, so I'm a little punchy right now... I should probably go to bed...

Grazzt

Demon Lord
Grimstaff said:
I believe Necromancer Games' Tome of Horrors is OGL. Though the monsters would need slight updates to 3.5 from 3.0, they certainly have that old-school feel that Paizo likes. And, oh wait, they're partners now, aren't they? :)

Maybe its time for a 3.5 version of ToH?

Yeppers. All three Tomes are completely OGC (including all monster names, text, etc.).

And...there actually is a 3.5 version of Tome 1 (Tome 2 and 3 are already 3.5)...

http://enworld.rpgnow.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=3019

edit: I see it Tome 1 revised was already linked to...sry. Should read completely thru the thread before posting I guess :)

Grazzt

Demon Lord
blargney the second said:
Wahoo! Wheels rolling, mission accomplished. :)

Whizbang, I just realized that I mixed up a couple of books. I have Creature Collection Revised, not Tome of Horrors Revised. Sorry for accidentally getting your hopes up!

Yep. Tome 1 revised is PDF only. No print version...yet.

Garnfellow

Explorer
All of the Tomes of Horror would be fantastic sources of monsters for Paizo. Great design, 100% open.

Green Ronin's Book of Fiends would also be a great source of demons, devils, and daemons. Well, maybe not demons -- that section was written by some Mona guy no one has ever heard of. I wonder whatever happened to him?

Green Ronin's Advanced Bestiary is a great source of nasty templates.

The Expeditious Retreat series of Monster Geographica books is a nice, no-frills selection of 3.5 monsters culled from all sorts of d20 products.

Lion's Den Press's The Iconic Bestiary -- Classics of Fantasy contains fantastic equivalents of signature closed content monsters. If you think you want a mind flayer, think phrenic scourge instead.

I know publishers are often very anxious about re-using good material for fear of customers crying that "I already own XX! Why did they have to waste 2 pages reprinting information if I already own XX!" And at a certain point, one could re-use material too much.

But for me, I would rather see some moderate re-use of existing, high quality material than a "new" rehash of a concept that's already done perfectly well. Don't recreate the wheel, especially when 30 different products have already tried.

And for that matter, this extends to other OGC material than just monsters. If you're going to include a new spell, make sure that Malhavoc's Complete Book of Eldritch Might or Necromancer's Eldritch Sorcery don't already have a spell that fills the same niche. Don't give me a completely new spellcasting base class that could be simulated using the eldritch weaver from Green Ronin's Advanced Player's Manual.

I don't expect Paizo writers to research every d20 book ever published, but all of the books I've mentioned in this post have wide critical claim, a certain measure of popularity, and work within the core d20 fantasy system. They, and maybe a half-dozen more, should form any d20 writer's canon of OGC works.

I think many OGL publishers have really failed the customers by not building upon existing, quality material from other publishers. I really hope that Paizo is able to lead the way on this front.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
James Jacobs said:
Woah... that reminds me of that Villians book I wrote for Bastion Press back in the day. HA! I can use some of that stuff in Pathfinder! The triumphant return of the demon lord Zuratorkul! Dinosaur Cultists and demented gnomes! Giant sharks and Missy Mangutter! SELF-CANNIBILISM FOR THE WIN!

Ahem... sorry. It's late and I just finished writing like 9,000 words about Demogorgon, so I'm a little punchy right now... I should probably go to bed...

I think the pdf of Villains was updated for 3.5 but you'd have to check. Since Bastion's stuff is very generous on OGC for others to use, it is worth checking out.

Ry

Explorer
JVisgaitis said:
Denizens is certainly OGL as we like to give back to the community. :) Seriously, if Paizo was looking for monster design at all, they need to drop me a line. We'd even reopen the monster lab to be in Pathfinder. Hell, I'm chomping at the bit just thinking about it...

Man, this should win its own Good Idea award.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads