• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN: Where's the CD Key?

LightPhoenix

First Post
I think right now we're using the state of Georgia for our meetings, but that may change. It's a little too small. And kudzu sucks, especially when it reaches out and kills members.

It should be somewhere right on the inside cover. If you haven't found it by now, it's not there. I would double check to see if the manual is authentic... you may have bought a pirated copy...

How would I tell if the manual is pirated? If it is, it's a pretty good job....

Sheesh. First, I buy some Encounter Decks from WOTC, back in the days of AD&D 2E, and end up with about 1/4th of them being duplicates, replacing cards that were mistakenly left out.

Then I buy Drizzt Do'Urden's Guide to the Underdark, and find that 32 pages had been repeated, in place of 32 missing pages.

Now this.

And people wonder why I quit the RPG hobby? (At least, the Pen-n-Paper portion. :) )

LightPhoenix

First Post
Well, the missing CD Key would be a good start. I find it hard to believe a CD Key would be missing from the manual, though I guess accidents do happen. My first AD&D PHB was missing the entire section on attributes.

The manual is greyscale, but it's pretty clean - no blurriness or anything. The only color is the front and back copies, and seems to be of cardstock.

Check the labels of the CDs. Are they in color? If so, they're probably not pirated, although it's not hard with a color label printer and a scanner to duplicate the NWN label.

Looks like my stuff is legit, just missing the CD Key.

The seller STILL hasn't replied back. It's been over 12 hours. Well, no matter what, I'm shipping it back on Monday, with Delivery Confirmation.

I've been defrauded before, I'm taking precautions now.

Update, and more questions

The seller finally replied. They sent me a CD Key. Obviously, I'm not going to keep the key. (Mainly because if I register it, and he sells the game to someone else, the next poor slob won't be able to play online.)

I'm going to either (1) return the game to the seller for a replacement or refund, (2) return the manual to the seller for a replacement, or (3) return the manual and the CDs to Bioware for a replacement.

I'd prefer to do #2, since it'd cost the least. Next would be #1, but I'd have to pay more shipping to get it back to him. #3 is probably my least favorite, since I'd have to pay an additional $5.00 + sales tax for THEIR mistake. (Note: If the game had been sealed, I wouldn't be bothering the seller. But since the game was opened, presumably the seller had it as a returned item. The seller should have known. Hey, I am generally reasonable! :) )

Okay, given all that......

Okay, I've been playing the game. I'm having some trouble, however. When the game goes into long portions of speeches, I get gaps. For instance, if it were Abe Lincoln, I'd be hearing, "Four score and........ seven years ago our........ forefathers brought forth...... on this continent a new..... nation." It's VERY annoying.

Also, in combat, the video skips. It's very hard to do combat when it keeps freezing up on you. I've managed to set up combat by hitting the space bar to pause the game, but it's still annoying to watch the combat as if all the participants were jumping around the screen. Is this because my RAM is too low? (128MB) Or my video RAM? (I think I have 32MB of video)

Now, a question that isn't (according to my browsing) in the manual: Are all the wizard and sorceror familiars bats? Where's the weasels, the rats, the toads?

Lily Inverse

First Post
Okay, I've been playing the game. I'm having some trouble, however. When the game goes into long portions of speeches, I get gaps. For instance, if it were Abe Lincoln, I'd be hearing, "Four score and........ seven years ago our........ forefathers brought forth...... on this continent a new..... nation." It's VERY annoying.

Also, in combat, the video skips. It's very hard to do combat when it keeps freezing up on you. I've managed to set up combat by hitting the space bar to pause the game, but it's still annoying to watch the combat as if all the participants were jumping around the screen. Is this because my RAM is too low? (128MB) Or my video RAM? (I think I have 32MB of video)

Both of these issues can be caused by simply not performing preventative maintenence on your computer, actually. Go to your "Start" menu, click on Run, and type "Scandisk" in the field. Start it, then walk away from your computer for awhile. If it's done when you come back, repeat the procedure and type "defrag" where you typed "scandisk" before. Now, go to bed, because if you've never done this before it's gonna take awhile. After that, you shouldn't have any more difficulties.

Lily Inverse said:

Both of these issues can be caused by simply not performing preventative maintenence on your computer, actually. Go to your "Start" menu, click on Run, and type "Scandisk" in the field. Start it, then walk away from your computer for awhile. If it's done when you come back, repeat the procedure and type "defrag" where you typed "scandisk" before. Now, go to bed, because if you've never done this before it's gonna take awhile. After that, you shouldn't have any more difficulties.

I run scandisk (or its Norton Utilities equivalent) about once every two weeks. I run defrag (or NU's equivalent) about twice a week, and especially anytime I uninstall something.

I didn't, however, run them after installing NWN. So I'll give it a shot. :)

MJEggertson

First Post
I have the exact same problems, among others. NWN is really picky about which systems it runs on. Try as you will, I doubt it will work, and I doubt it's anything to do with your system. I lost $55 because I bought the game and it won't run on my computer.

MJEggertson said:
I have the exact same problems, among others. NWN is really picky about which systems it runs on. Try as you will, I doubt it will work, and I doubt it's anything to do with your system. I lost $55 because I bought the game and it won't run on my computer.

You can always sell it on eBay. It goes for about $35 for a used copy. So it's not a total loss. And you can always overcharge on shipping, to recoup a few extra bucks. :)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads