• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NWN and the Tarrasque

Saxit

First Post
Taken from the NWN board

Quote: Posted 05/29/02 14:38:53 (GMT) by Tal Rasha
The wyrm has several ways of beating the tarrasque.
He can use his weakening gas. (The tarrasque reflects magical cones, but not suppernatural cones, and certainly not if the cone is gas in the shape of a cone to determine the area of effect, don't even try to discuss this).

My answer was

Technically, a firecone is just burning gas..
Anyways, all cones (supernatural or magical or whatever)are deflected, read his description again.

Btw, as a sidenote, the Tarrasque was totally unkillable before he was officially erratad (Monster Manual errata).
He takes subdual damage from ALL sources. Subdual damage is counted from 0 and up, thus he can NEVER reach a negative HP.

/Saxit

His reply was this:

sigh, the weakening gas is not a cone of fire.

It is gas.

gas that has the shape of a cone to determine the area of effect. it is not truly a cone.
the tarrasque breathes and so he is affected by it.

If you follow all the rules to close (literary) then you probably make a very bad DM.

Whats your take on this?
/Saxit

Last edited:

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Crothian said:
What type of dragon is this referring to?

Probably gold dragon. It can breathe a cone of fire or a cone of weakening gass.

Technically, a cone is a cone. *shrug*

If he wants to claim that that is merely a technicality, then tell him the Tarrasque is immune to poison, and should therefore be immune to the weakening gas.

If he says that technically the gas isn't a poison, then tell that if he wants to argue technicalities, then technically it is a cone and would be reflected. Either way, it won't affect the tarrasque.

Even if it could affect the Tarrasque, a Great Wyrm Gold Dragon's weaking gas has a Fort DC of 41, and the Tarrasque has a +38 Fort Save. It only fails on a 1 or 2.

(besides, if it were a "normal" gas, it wouldn't instantly dissipate, and it wouldn't have a cone shaped area of effect.)

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Caliban said:

Probably gold dragon. It can breathe a cone of fire or a cone of weakening gass.

Technically, a cone is a cone. *shrug*

If he wants to claim that that is merely a technicality, then tell him the Tarrasque is immune to poison, and should therefore be immune to the weakening gas.

If he says that technically the gas isn't a poison, then tell that if he wants to argue technicalities, then technically it is a cone and would be reflected. Either way, it won't affect the tarrasque.

(besides, if it were a "normal" gas, it wouldn't instantly dissipate, and it wouldn't have a cone shaped area of effect.)

thanks caliban, that is a very insightful analsys on this. :)

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
I would be tempted to think "What kind of idiots where WotC to put the Tarrasque into the MM in the first place, instead of an actually *useful* monster" :)

Belares

First Post
I would be tempted to think "What kind of idiots where WotC to put the Tarrasque into the MM in the first place, instead of an actually *useful* monster"

I would think that it was put in to tax the High level, world-saving, hero type, characters. Of course, from what I have seen being played these days, hero campaigns are not as prevelant as they used to be, and players these days would rather control the tarrasque using it for themselves, and not stopping it and saving the surrounding area.

I have been known to be wrong. I think trying to powergame is not how D&D was meant to be played.

KGradert

First Post
Trying to have fun is "how D&D was meant to be played"

If some people powergame to enjoy themselves, great.
If some role-play only, great.

However, people telling others the "correct" way to play the game is never right.

Belares

First Post
However, people telling others the "correct" way to play the game is never right.

You are correct and I was stating my opionion of the years of playing D&D and what I saw during this time.

If you want to play your 1st level half-fiend/dragon/tarrasque at 1st level then so be it, I just don't have to play with you.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads