• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Notes from the sage: Sunder

Macbrea

First Post
Here is the full letter of questions I sent off the the sage and my responses:

Quoted letter.
We have recently gotten into a heated debate over the feat Sunder.

1st question:
A Pit Fiend has a DR 30/+3. The Pit Fiend gets sunder as a feat but only has natural weapons. Can it use its claws to sunder a magic weapon?

Yes.

2nd question:
Can a fighter with Admantine Bastard sword sunder a magical longsword +1?

Yes (you need a magical bonus to overcome DR, but not for sunder).

Skip Williams
RPG R&D

Macbrea

First Post
Very short responses but it seems to be what we came up with as a good house rule for creatures and breaking weapons.

The second response seems alittle suprising veiwing everything that was said. But after rereading it. It doesn't actually say a magic bonus is needed.

mikebr99

Explorer
2nd question:
Can a fighter with Admantine Bastard sword sunder a magical longsword +1?

Yes (you need a magical bonus to overcome DR, but not for sunder).

hey, he's answered two questions in one answer...
1) Adamantine can sunder up to +2 weapons.
2) Adamantine doesn't overcome DR.

Two for the price of one...

Xarlen

First Post
I had sent him a letter (And I quoted it in the Adamantite/DR thread) which he replied you need a Magical bonus to bypass DR.

Macbrea

First Post
Hmm, so, that actually, means a forsaker should be able to break a magic weapon because he has an ability called "Natural weapondry" that makes his weapons equal to his DR bonus. That answered a question I had about wether a Forsaker could break a magic weapon.

Last edited:

kreynolds

First Post
Macbrea said:
That answered a question I had about wether a Forsaker could break a magic weapon.

Yeah. I guess he could. That's pretty cool. It makes the Forsaker even that much cooler as an NPC.

Remove ads