• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Not D&D

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I really like Traveller LBB. It perfectly captures the feel of the SF I grew up reading, books like Heinlein's Citizen of the Galaxy and Norton's Zero Stone and Uncharted Stars.

If there was more discussion on games other than D&D on this site, I probably wouldn't go anywhere else. This is my favorite online community but there's lots of stuff that just doesn't get talked about here.

Ahzad

Explorer
for me hands down my favorite rpg after 30+ years is Spycraft/Fantasycraft. No other system has ever really gotten it right in terms of what i like in mechanics. i don't think there's anything in there that i don't like.

The One Ring is the first game that actually emulates the books rather than just using X system with a Tolkien skin. Add Mistborn to that as well

Both great systems that are no where near DnD

Honour + Intrigue is BoL (another great game) in the swashbuckling era, check it out :)

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, I have always liked Deadlands, the original version. Sure, it is clunky in some ways, and has a lot of weird interactions, but it just plays so differently from D&D.

If I play another game, I do not want it to be 90% like D&D, but a whole different experience.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
The original Palladium Fantasy RPG for me. But then, I haven't even seen most of the newer games, let alone played them, so maybe I could be convinced otherwise. ;)

rptroll

First Post
It's Savage Worlds for me as well. I've played a number of genres and it handled them all well. The other factor for me is the Pinnacle staff who are always helpful and friendly.

They keep a tight reign on their forums as well so there is very little trolling. Clint Black is their core rules manager with a lot of industry connections. He says if you're slamming another system you're probably dissing a friend of his so ie doesn't allow those sorts pf posts.

As stated earlier, the setup time is greatly reduced to run a game which is vital for me these days. The time to run an encounter is reduced as well so you get more gaming in per session.

The other thing I love is the time it takes to advance a character: about 2 minutes

Elf Witch

First Post
I am huge Shadowrun fan. A caveat anything issue before the latest one that is. I love the way they do magic and that characters start out competent and never get so powerful that they can walk all over everyone else in the world.

I also really like Spycraft/ Stargate I have run several Stargate games as well as Nikita/Alias style campaign with Spycraft.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads