• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

No subdual Knockout possible?

jhilahd

Explorer
I enjoy using the subdual damage rules, but...

Are there rules in place that call for immediate knockout's or subduals, other than a crit?

I mean, a sap/blackjack doesn't do that much in subdual, so how does one "whack" someone from behind and knock them out with one strike other than a DM call?

Suggestions? Answers? Any and all replies are appreciated. Page numbers help too!!

Jhilahd

Ealli

First Post
Sneak attack is one possibility, realizing weapon damage is based on the d4 commoner is another. Single hits that incapicitate are very rare whether by sap, dagger or great sword.

Geoff Watson

First Post
jhilahd said:
I enjoy using the subdual damage rules, but...

I mean, a sap/blackjack doesn't do that much in subdual, so how does one "whack" someone from behind and knock them out with one strike other than a DM call?

The same way you can whack someone with a sword and kill them with one strike. You can't? Well, that's the point of Hit Points.

Geoff.

AuraSeer

Prismatic Programmer
Ooh, I want a Vorpal Blackjack. And Improved Critical: Blackjack. That'd be awesome.

"Thwap! Your head falls off. You are now unconscious."

:D

Cloudgatherer

First Post
I thought of the same problem. In my games I created a "subdual coup de grace". Essentially, you go for a knockout instead of death. Fairly easy to make such a rule for your own games.

Zarthon

Explorer
Cloudgatherer said:
I thought of the same problem. In my games I created a "subdual coup de grace". Essentially, you go for a knockout instead of death. Fairly easy to make such a rule for your own games.

I do a similar thing in my game, only the victim must be surprised and totally unaware of the attacker.

jhilahd

Explorer
AuraSeer said:
Ooh, I want a Vorpal Blackjack. And Improved Critical: Blackjack. That'd be awesome.

"Thwap! Your head falls off. You are now unconscious."

:D

LOL

I'll have to remember that one.

-Jhilahd

jhilahd

Explorer
Re: Re: No subdual Knockout possible?

Geoff Watson said:

The same way you can whack someone with a sword and kill them with one strike. You can't? Well, that's the point of Hit Points.

Geoff.

... ok....

heh... I guess so.

-Jhilahd

tburdett

Explorer
They don't allow this because it is generally a bad idea. Being able to knock someone out is as good as being able to kill them. Once they are out, they are at your mercy. In some cases, this could be worse than death.

If you really, really want to have something like this in your campaign, and you want to stay within the rules, look at the Watch Detective prestige class in the Masters of the Wild book by WotC. That's probably as close as you'll get.

Last edited:

Remove ads