• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

newbies guide for Fallout 4

Zardnaar

Legend
Yeah, but he's a good dog, and he was super sad when Piper told him he had to go home. :(

Not if you tell them to stay put at the entrance. šŸ˜

I've mostly been using a modified version of the Resolute Authority laser gun that Paladin Danse gave me. I've just given Piper a sub machine gun but I'll see if I can get her something better. I might give her my modified Institute laser gun instead so I can see what she's shooting at. I've given all my Sanctuary settlers one. (Got a ton at that science facility when I went there with Danse and he got mobbed by the synths.)

I haven't tried Codsworth as a companion yet. Maybe I should. I had just been using Dogmeat till I met Piper.

Does this look like a good mod? Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat and Companion At Same Time - No Console - No Hack)

I wouldn't have a clue how to install it ...

Righteous authority is a very good gun espicially early.

Not a fan of full auto weapons for companions. Mostly they waste your ammo.

Equipping settlers can be fun espicially as minutemen. Automatics are good for them. Automatic pipe guns, 45 then plasma. Or nuka world hand made rifle.

Any meh legendary automatic for you eg cold or plasma infused can be funny on settlers. Then if course you have to give them matching combat armor uniforms/vault suits.

DLC the raider gang armor and robot armor. Very expensive en masse though. Drink that adhesive.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
šŸ‘

Yes, I had assumed they got unlimited ammo like the settlers do but that does not appear to be the case.

Nope automatics on companions will chew through your ammo. They also don't really have any perks so damage scales poorly. Exception is robots and strong using a melee weapon.

Strong+ atoms judgement is hilarious. Want a youtuber I used for such things as best settler weapons?

pukunui

Legend
Nope automatics on companions will chew through your ammo. They also don't really have any perks so damage scales poorly. Exception is robots and strong using a melee weapon.

Strong+ atoms judgement is hilarious.
I havenā€™t met Strong yet. Do your companions use ammo you have on your own person, rather than just ammo youā€™ve given to them?

Zardnaar

Legend
I havenā€™t met Strong yet. Do your companions use ammo you have on your own person, rather than just ammo youā€™ve given to them?

You have to manually give them ammo. They're generally more useful for the perk vs battle ability.

Eg Piper gives you a small xp boost when her influence is high and you explore new locations.

pukunui

Legend
You have to manually give them ammo. They're generally more useful for the perk vs battle ability.

Eg Piper gives you a small xp boost when her influence is high and you explore new locations.
OK but you have to actually adventure with her to get her influence to that point, right?

Zardnaar

Legend
OK but you have to actually adventure with her to get her influence to that point, right?

Kind of. There's various speech checks for the companions.

Piper has a heap in diamond city so you can trigger her romance stuff fairly quickly to get her perk.

It's not generally rated as one of the power perks but I've rushed it early and had it trigger with idiot savant. It will level you up faster via exploration.

Last edited:

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
I just wanted toc heck in on the update and mods: have things been resolved yet, or are we still stuck limited to non-F4SE mods?

Does this look like a good mod? Everyone's Best Friend (Dogmeat and Companion At Same Time - No Console - No Hack)

I wouldn't have a clue how to install it ...
The easiest way to do moding for a total newb is via the game's mod menu. That way all you have to do is find a mod you want or looks interesting and download it.

Beyond that it can get complicated pretty fast.

I just wanted toc heck in on the update and mods: have things been resolved yet, or are we still stuck limited to non-F4SE mods?
F4SE has been updated as has MCM. Now it's just a waiting/hoping game for various mods that depended on F4SE/MCM to be updated.

pukunui

Legend
Took the first rank of the Local Leader perk so I could set up supply lines. I'm not sure I fully understand how they work. I've connected most of the other settlements to Sanctuary now, but am I supposed to connect the others to each other as well?

Also, how am I supposed to sell my extra produce and stuff when the traders all run of out caps? Do they not ever replenish their stashes of caps off-screen? Do I have to find more traders in order to sell stuff?

Also, those mirelurks (specifically the legendary glowing one and the queen) at the Castle were hella hard! Even though I'm level 20 now!

Remove ads