• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

new Steven Erikson - House of Chains (minor spoilers, kinda long)

jhallum

Explorer
Anyone here read the newest Steven Erikson book, House of Chains?

I just got done with it, and I liked it. It's not as good as Deadhouse Gates(2nd book), or Memories of Ice(3rd book), I'd place it about as good as Gardens of the Moon(1st book).

For those who don't know about Erikson's Books of the Fallen 10 book series, it is a broad series of books with an ensemble cast. Its a very ambitious series, with the first four books alternating between events on two different continents, and the Malazan Empire that is vying to control them. There is the continent of Genebackis, where the series starts, as the Empire seeks to conquer the last few independent cities before moving on to its next enemy. The other continent contains Seven Holy cities, a land simmering with resentment and rebellion. There is not a real introduction to the world at large, you are literally thrown in to the world cold, with all of its complexities. Each book reveals a new aspect of the world, and there's always something new to learn from a character. I get the sense from the fourth book that the conflicts between characters, and their resolutions are just steps as we learn about another conflict that overlies the current conflict. It is extremely complex, and not for the faint of heart...US publishers have not published this series so far, it is only available in the UK. The author has said that they have declined because of its complexity.

The book, the fourth in the series of ten spends the first hundred and fifty of its 750 pages on the background of one of the characters in the ensemble. As far as I am concerned, I believe it is necessary, I think he's going to play a major part in the remainder of the decilogy. The book continues with the aftermath of the events of Deadhouse Gates, and it appears to start just before the end of Memories of Ice, people learn of the fates of people in Memories of Ice about half way through the book. There is a resolution to the business in Raraku, of the unexpected sort, as well as more positions being fulfulled and vacated in the new house of the Deck of Dragons, the House of Chains. We even get a resolution to the final fate of the Bridgeburners, as well as seeing more of the survivors. More of the mystery surrounding Icarium is dispellled, and we get to meet another of the mysterious Forkrul Assail. The author is an archaeologist and an anthropologist, and it definitely shows in the history and depth of background in his world.

There is a different tone to this book. Where Deadhouse Gates and Memories of Ice were filled with despair and hopelessness of the Chain of Dogs and the war against the Pannion Domin, House of Chains has hope and determination all over the place. I liked it change in tone, but then again, I really LIKED the ends of DG and MoI, they were really engaging. About the only other scenes I've felt that way about is the Red Wedding scene in Martin's Storm of Swords.

There are some problems. There are timeline problems someplace between Gardens of the Moon and the beginning of the book, but I think that's a publishing problem, not a storyline problem. They also hosed up the Deck of Dragons listing of members, with a couple of people who are where they are not supposed to be (obvious errors). One resolution of the book is not as satisfying as it could of been to me, there could have been a huge flash-bang climax resolution to one characters story, but there wasn't. Perhaps the final resolution will come later, but for now, it wasn't there.

The rest of the book was quite good. In terms of quality, it isn't his best work (that's Memories of Ice), but that is still right up there with the best Jordan book I've read, and slightly beneath Martin's works. It is well worth reading. Go get it from amazon.co.uk, or have a friend in the UK get it for you. It's worth it.

GreyOne

Explorer
Erikson kicks Jordan's arse. I love these books (especially Deadhouse Gates, which is my favourite so far). I haven't got the fourth one yet, but I check every time I'm at a bookstore here in Vancouver. It's not published in the States (which boggles my mind). I've started at least 3 threads promoting the books, but they have plummeted like weighted turkeys unless I bumped them.

Anyway, I agree these books are tremendous. Epic and bloody in scope and almost comparable to Martin's works. The Chain of Dogs is my favourite part so far and almost made me cry at the end. I think the whole thing is loosely based on bits and pieces of Erikson's Gurps campaigns.

Limper

First Post
Well now I know why I can't find them... Looks like I'll have to order them from Canada...

*Limper shakes head in sadness, wishing he hailed from a land that reads*

Remove ads