• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Prestige Class: Yellow-Bellied Coward

Phlebas

First Post
ivocaliban said:
I still can't find satisfactory prerequisites/requirements, though. I'm still having a hard time seeing how a PrC that is basically about running away has a BAB +4 entry requirement. That fighters, barbarians, rangers, and swashbucklers make "better" cowards than bards and rogues...something just doesn't sit right with me there.

why not ignore BAB and just use skills

Esape artist, Bluff & Diplomacy at 4 with at least one of them at 8 - gives a minimum level of 5 before entry, but mixing the skills means that every class (I think) has at least one class skill they can max out on, plus some others that might be cross-class but are still affordable. Penalises low skill characters like fighters, but then they're not naturals for the class

just seen how many versions we've been through <Sigh> now i need to decide which one to use...

ivocaliban

First Post
Phlebas said:
why not ignore BAB and just use skills

Esape artist, Bluff & Diplomacy at 4 with at least one of them at 8 - gives a minimum level of 5 before entry, but mixing the skills means that every class (I think) has at least one class skill they can max out on, plus some others that might be cross-class but are still affordable. Penalises low skill characters like fighters, but then they're not naturals for the class

just seen how many versions we've been through <Sigh> now i need to decide which one to use...

I think there are going to end up being at least two versions. Trav, the originator, wants this for fighter and warrior henchmen (where a cross-class skill of 8 is poison) and I'm more likely to use it for roguish characters (where BAB is poison). I'm more likely to drop the BAB altogether and just depend on skills, but I was hoping to find some balance between the two to make it fairly easy for rogues, but not much harder for fighters. Can't seem to find it.

The three skill requirements I've basically tried to stick with are Bluff, Escape Artist, and Hide. Mainly because the class description says Yellowbellied Cowards are really good at running and hiding, but none of the original class abilities really support bluffing or hiding. That's one reason why I originally wanted to add the Improved Diversion feat from (Complete Adventurer) which uses the Bluff skill to improve an improvised Hide.

Yes, I can't make up my mind. I've put my version on the back burner for now. Trying to take a step back and reapproach it later, hopefully from a better angle.

Sigurd

First Post
My vote is for the theatrical version

3 bab, 3 escape artist, 3 bluff,

-1 BAB to start.
Feats Run & Dodge*

*The least of my worries is the entrance reqs. I think all my players will avoid this class. I'd retrofit the feats and allow chars without the skills entrance at the cost of another -1 BAB.

I don't think people plan to be cowards in their role playing career. The skill and feat progression after entrance have the right sort of flavour to flesh out the character as he\she comes to terms with their craven soul. :)

I wonder if there might be an arcane version :)

Sigurd

trav_laney

First Post
Phlebas said:
ivocaliban said:
Yes, I can't make up my mind. I've put my version on the back burner for now. Trying to take a step back and reapproach it later, hopefully from a better angle.

Wow, this is cool...I didn't expect such a great response to my clownish PrC, but I am loving the ideas that are coming out of here. So I feel obliged to give a little background on the yellowbellied coward.

We were gaming, and our "hero" of the group failed his Will save and became panicked. The rogue of our group made fun of him, saying "What? Have you been taking levels of Coward?" And we all laughed...and then I thought, "Hmm...levels of coward, eh?"

When I decided to make a "coward class," I went with the first example that came to mind. This character was based largely upon the AD&D Cartoon character of Eric (remember him? the cavalier with the magic shield who was always scared out of his wits but somehow managed to save the day? good times, good times.) This is why I wanted it to be more oriented towards fighter-type characters...a cavalier coward? That's awesome irony. Eric even wore a yellow breastplate...get it?

So I hammered out a draft of it, and a friend and fellow DM Robert Cooper looked it over and gave me some feedback. Then it sat on my hard drive for quite some time, before I decided to post it up here for everyone to enjoy.

Siguard is right; very few players would ever want to take this prestige class. And those who do will be more interested in "deep" roleplaying, where the personality and background of the character takes center stage over the rolling of dice. Most characters who actively avoid combat are only doing so to find another way to fight...casting spells, backstabbing, and so forth. To play a character who actively avoids combat altogether would be very challenging to play...especially considering how XP are doled out under the D20 system.

So this character was ultimately designed for NPCs, although a few PCs with well-developed character backgrounds might be interested. This class is the perfect choice for lackeys of powerful villains...not only would this lackey drive the party crazy by always fleeing battle (thus denying them the sweetness of victory), but would also be able to escape their master's wrath after they constantly bungle the jobs they were sent to do. It would also be a good PrC for any monster that has "tends to avoid combat" in their descriptions, like succubi.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
This is a great thread!

Attached is my version, done in a word document. There is also a text version for those that hate Word files.

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• Disciple of Rincewind PrC.zip
    9.5 KB · Views: 124

trav_laney

First Post
Knightfall1972 said:
Attached is my version, done in a word document. There is also a text version for those that hate Word files.
Nicely done. The prereq's are a little high for my tastes, but that is a matter of opinion. I also like the fact that you made Lucky Bastard a 1st level ability, and Run Away! a 2nd level one. I am totally updating my hardcopy with this.

I don't like the Leave Me For Dead ability, though. I think I would rather give the YBC an ability similar to the rogue's Skill Mastery, but apply it to Escape Artist, Bluff, or similar skills. There's nothing unbalanced or even undesireable about Leave Me For Dead; I just don't dig it. :)

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
trav_laney said:
Nicely done. The prereq's are a little high for my tastes, but that is a matter of opinion. I also like the fact that you made Lucky Bastard a 1st level ability, and Run Away! a 2nd level one. I am totally updating my hardcopy with this.

I don't like the Leave Me For Dead ability, though. I think I would rather give the YBC an ability similar to the rogue's Skill Mastery, but apply it to Escape Artist, Bluff, or similar skills. There's nothing unbalanced or even undesireable about Leave Me For Dead; I just don't dig it. :)
Thanks for the kind words, Trav. I did make the prereq's a little harder to make, as I want this prestige class to be fairly unique for my World of Kulan campaign setting. I felt putting Lucky Bastard at first level was good idea, since Skittish is basically a drawback. And someone suggested Run Away! at 2nd-level, which worked great for me.

Leave Me For Dead fits my campaign world, a bit more, as things can get tough and gritty. A way for PCs to survive, once stabilized, while combat rages on is a good thing. I did consider using either Distract Opponent/Fade into Violence or Vanish, but decided against them. I don't own PHB II and I didn't feel the dimension door ability fit the class concept, IMO.

Anyway, thanks for creating the original. And thanks to everyone else who contributed to this thread.

Cheers!

KF72

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Attached is an updated version that allows for some arcane spellcasting progression. This fits the Disciple of Rincewind name for the class better, IMO.

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• Disciple of Rincewind PrC.txt
    9.1 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

El Jeraldo

First Post
Wow. I'm impressed. I've been following this thread since the first post but didn't really think it would take off this much. Any way I love the PrC and to quote Shield my warforged friend "It makes Happy!"

Though I don't find it typical for PrC's, but what do you guys think about adding a "Fallen YBC".

Fallen Yellowbellied Coward
-If at any time a YBC performs a deliberate act of bravery they lose their overwhelming and well-developed fear of battle. At this point a YBC may not advance in any further levels of YBC and loses all class abilities though BaB, weapon and armor proficiencies, and saves gained by the levels of YBC remain.

My only problem with this is how can the Fallen YBC atone for his bravery? Any ideas?

-El Jeraldo

Remove ads