• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Prestige Class: Yellow-Bellied Coward

Sigurd

First Post
Fallen YBC - I can see where you are coming from but it really makes this guy useless.

If he's a lackey he can't be counted on to be a superman but he has to at least make his way on most days. It isn't that one is a coward every day that makes you infamous - it is that you were a coward when it mattered.

I imagine YBCs in later levels are a lot like real people. They are afraid for their lives! Just having an ability like 'vanish' is gonna make them face every test with one finger on the vanish button.

The other problem with a penalty for bravery is that you then have to define each act as brave or craven. It is not that a YBC is universally cowardly but that he is not reliably brave.

Sigurd

trav_laney

First Post
I tested these prerequisites using a succubus as the base character. With these prerequisites, the class is very easy for most non-combat monsters to qualify for (which makes it perfect for an NPC class). The succubus, for example, only needed to substitute her Persuasive feat for the Run feat, and she qualified right away...no need to take levels of bard or fighter, which can run up the CR in some cases.

Prerequisites:
Alignment: any non-lawful
Base Attack: +4 or higher
Skills: Bluff 5 ranks, Escape Artist 5 ranks
Feats: Dodge, Mobility, Run
Special: must be succeptable to fear and fear-based attacks

I ended up liking this test-monster so much that I decided to use her in my game as the key lackey. She is going to be a great thorn in the party's side...at least until the mage learns forcecage. :)

Sigurd

First Post
Alignment poses wrinkle

Your succubus build looks very useful but it suggests a problem.

I've always envisioned this as a class that wanted to be good and therefore abandoning a comrade etc... was a difficult or embarrassing thing to do.

In the hands of a devil, deserting a comrade might be the height of form....

I guess the relatively low bab and hp make this not too big an issue. But I think its something to consider. I'm definitely sticking to my custom bab progression -1,0,+1,+2,+3 maybe I should kick back the 3 to a 2?

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
I tested these prerequisites using a succubus as the base character. With these prerequisites, the class is very easy for most non-combat monsters to qualify for (which makes it perfect for an NPC class). The succubus, for example, only needed to substitute her Persuasive feat for the Run feat, and she qualified right away...no need to take levels of bard or fighter, which can run up the CR in some cases.

LUV IT!

What's cool about this PrC is that it's very archetypal. And I like the idea of making it a "prestige" class that warrior-types can get into if they play against type, because a huge shield and full plate SCREAM coward. :)

"Okay, can I dual-wield heavy shields?" :)

ivocaliban

First Post
Sigurd said:
I guess the relatively low bab and hp make this not too big an issue. But I think its something to consider. I'm definitely sticking to my custom bab progression -1,0,+1,+2,+3 maybe I should kick back the 3 to a 2?

Anyone have any thoughts?

I'm not terribly fond of custom BAB progressions. I prefer the Wizard BAB. But...I still can't square the +4 BAB entry requirement with such a low BAB progression. Or in your case, a penalty. The fact that the prestige class requires a certain amount of BAB in order to lose BAB just doesn't seem right.

trav_laney

First Post
ivocaliban said:
But...I still can't square the +4 BAB entry requirement with such a low BAB progression.
An attack bonus is used for more than...well, attacking. It has passive uses as well: escaping a grapple, avoiding a feint, avoiding your gear being disarmed, snatched, or sundered, for example. The BAT requirement for this class could be interpreted as the character being skilled in these special avoidance tactics, and not necessarily the toe-to-toe combat stuff.

In that light, I think that having BAB advancement like a rogue is fair.

Last edited:

ivocaliban

First Post
I just noticed the Slippery Fighter ability is almost identical to the Prone Attack feat from Complete Warrior.

The only differences are that Slippery Fighter requires light armor or no armor (and light load or less) while Prone Attack can be used regardless of armor. Also, Prone Attack allows you to "regain your feet immediately as a free action" if your attack role is successful. Otherwise, the ability and feat are identical. (No penalty to attacks while prone or penalties to armor class against melee attacks).

Of course, the prerequisites for Prone Attack are Dex 15, Lightning Reflexes, base attack +2. So, one might want to make it a bonus feat (even if you don't meet the requirements) if they feel so inclined.

ivocaliban

First Post
trav_laney said:
When I decided to make a "coward class," I went with the first example that came to mind. This character was based largely upon the AD&D Cartoon character of Eric (remember him? the cavalier with the magic shield who was always scared out of his wits but somehow managed to save the day? good times, good times.) This is why I wanted it to be more oriented towards fighter-type characters...a cavalier coward? That's awesome irony. Eric even wore a yellow breastplate...get it?

Great inspiration, by the way! (I still want the dvds.)

Unfortunately, Eric couldn't use many of the Yellowbellied Coward abilities because he's wearing a breastplate (medium armor).

trav_laney

First Post
ivocaliban said:
Great inspiration, by the way! (I still want the dvds.)

Unfortunately, Eric couldn't use many of the Yellowbellied Coward abilities because he's wearing a breastplate (medium armor).
I could have sworn it was yellow mithral... :D

Remove ads