New Playtest S6.2 RPG

velkymx

Explorer
Imagine a system where a single bag of dice becomes your storytelling tool. Modifiers based on your character’s skills make every roll feel impactful, keeping the gameplay smooth and fast-paced. No more spending ages flipping through rulebooks – this system lets you jump right into the action, focusing on the strategic decisions that shape your character’s journey.

Fast, Flexible, and Story-Rich: Unveiling S6.2 – My New Narrative-Driven RPG

Let me know what y'all think!!!

Abstract ranges, no starting skills, d6-based rolls...all turn-offs for me. The Disadvantage tags are not something I would use.

Bland, narrow-range, and vague. Not for me.

velkymx

Explorer
Abstract ranges, no starting skills, d6-based rolls...all turn-offs for me. The Disadvantage tags are not something I would use.

Bland, narrow-range, and vague. Not for me.
Would the playtest be better if it was more ... "started" ... like if there were sample characters with skills and more of a world?

Would the playtest be better if it was more ... "started" ... like if there were sample characters with skills and more of a world?
It probably wouldn't hurt.

It does not help, IMO, that you've broken no new ground. There's countless rules-lite d6 systems out there using the same or similar ideas. So the question is, why use this system?

You need a dynamic answer to that question. You need something other people don't offer.

velkymx

Explorer
This system boasts several innovations that set it apart from other d6 games:

• Skill Stacking: Characters aren't limited to a single skill level. As they gain experience, they build a diverse dice pool, specializing in various areas. This creates a sense of growth and mastery.
  • Tag-based Inventory: Ditch the weight calculations! This system uses a streamlined tagging system to manage equipment, focusing on usability and narrative flow.
  • Dynamic Difficulty: The GM sets difficulty based on the situation, but players can influence it with advantage and disadvantage dice. This keeps the gameplay engaging and unpredictable.
  • Bennie Rerolls and Goocher Explosions: "Bennies" allow players to clutch moments with a reroll, while rolling three sixes ("Goocher") guarantees success! These mechanics add a layer of excitement and surprise.
  • Teamwork Makes the Dream Work: Characters with complementary skills can combine their dice pools for complex tasks, fostering cooperation and strategic thinking.

velkymx

Explorer
I've added a police team into the pregenerated characters area.
  1. Detective Miles Fordham - a grizzled veteran detective with a sharp mind and a dry wit.
  2. Agent Anya Rodriguez - a dedicated and detail-oriented CSI agent.
  3. Dr. Evelyn Walsh: The Mind Behind the Madness - a brilliant criminal profiler.
As well as the adventure: Miami Heat: Echos of the Past

This system boasts several innovations that set it apart from other d6 games:

• Skill Stacking: Characters aren't limited to a single skill level. As they gain experience, they build a diverse dice pool, specializing in various areas. This creates a sense of growth and mastery.
  • Tag-based Inventory: Ditch the weight calculations! This system uses a streamlined tagging system to manage equipment, focusing on usability and narrative flow.
  • Dynamic Difficulty: The GM sets difficulty based on the situation, but players can influence it with advantage and disadvantage dice. This keeps the gameplay engaging and unpredictable.
  • Bennie Rerolls and Goocher Explosions: "Bennies" allow players to clutch moments with a reroll, while rolling three sixes ("Goocher") guarantees success! These mechanics add a layer of excitement and surprise.
  • Teamwork Makes the Dream Work: Characters with complementary skills can combine their dice pools for complex tasks, fostering cooperation and strategic thinking.
None of those are innovations; they appear in numerous systems. The terms for the negative and positive dice are, so far as I know, new, but not the mechanic.

You have a commendable enthusiasm and a clear writing style, but you're not breaking new ground.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
Imagine a system where a single bag of dice becomes your storytelling tool. Modifiers based on your character’s skills make every roll feel impactful, keeping the gameplay smooth and fast-paced. No more spending ages flipping through rulebooks . . .

Let me know what y'all think!!!
You might have a winner on your hands, velkymx. Here are some thoughts...

In order from "getting started":
  • It's safe to assume that most readers will know what Hit Points are, but these can have different uses between games, and might need defining.
  • Under Starting Simple, "tests" are undefined, but I know that my new character can use a d6 for them. I'm not sure when that will happen though, because the rules later mention "group checks" and "skill checks," which must be more important than tests if you define them first.
  • 36 XP tells me nothing about how many skills I can acquire for my new character, since I know nothing about them. Later, I learn that I can buy a "basic" skill for 12 XP. Why 12? And is a "basic" skill better than the "basic 1d6 roll" that I get for free?
  • I'll have to take your word that game play, with test/check pools, is smooth and fast-paced, because building a dice pool, counting up successes based on two results, but then subtracting some of results based on another, and then comparing the total to the GM's actual success hurdle, but possibly overriding that with my Benny (which sounds a lot like the oft-unused D&D Inspiration), doesn't strike me as such. If you use a term other than "success" for the die results, or no term, it will make more sense to receive a final "success" if enough 5s and 6s came up.

So far, it looks like a good game that just needs an editor pass to make the rules more clear.

Remove ads