• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Vaalingrade

Legend
But the way its supposed to work is that as the resources become depleted, the characters become more careful with their actions and avoidant of unnecessary combats.
Except most players don't want to avoid combats; they want to get to the fun thing the game is based around.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
Except most players don't want to avoid combats; they want to get to the fun thing the game is based around.
It depends on the players, yeah? To your players, the fun thing might be combat but for others, the fun thing could be completing a quest using their own unique, quirky, or clever solutions.

I have had more instances than I can count where players had much more fun fooling or bypassing an NPC than if they had brute-forced their way forward.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Well, what I'm trying to say is that even if there was a large majority of people asking for a martial spell system, they wouldn't acknowledge it and wouldn't actually change their broader visions to accomodate.

There is an exception, though, and that's if the large majority of people look for a marketable mechanic replacement, but that would have to be something unique that people haven't really implemented in a commercial TTRPG yet, and if something like that was floating around, they'd have already incorporated it. And there may be rare places where they have implemented it, it just won't be a common occurrence.
But on what basis do you state that...? All evidence pou to toWotC bebding over backwards for fans.

Asisreo

Patron Badass
You can do that as part of a combat... if you're a caster.
Anyone can do that as part of combat, but I don't really know why we're bringing up casters and martials in this specific topic. You don't need magic to say "I want to try to convince the enemy to stop fighting." Or "I pull a piece of meat from my bag and throw it in hopes that it will distract the beast in time for us to escape."

But you can also do it outside of combat and it has a different feel to it. Less like they entered into a battleground and chose the "do not attack" option and more like entering into a parley or a stealth mission.

Vaalingrade

Legend
Anyone can do that as part of combat, but I don't really know why we're bringing up casters and martials in this specific topic. You don't need magic to say "I want to try to convince the enemy to stop fighting." Or "I pull a piece of meat from my bag and throw it in hopes that it will distract the beast in time for us to escape."

But you can also do it outside of combat and it has a different feel to it. Less like they entered into a battleground and chose the "do not attack" option and more like entering into a parley or a stealth mission.
The game doesn't make it worth trying that stuff as you're at the mercy of the DM whether it works.

I'm seeing the meat example being like that Simpson's episode where Homer throws a steak to distract a guard dog and it just gulps it down on the run and continues the chase. "Run faster, boy! He's got a taste for meat now!"

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Because they were designing an update for 5e, not a new system called 6e. They reinvented the wheel in 4e and they barely survived the backlash. They clawed their way from being on life support to being a shining star in Hasbro (for good and ill). They aren't going to radically redesign the system again. It was never in the cards.
Alternatively, they don't want to frighten away the fish before they set the hook.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Previous UAs where features have been well-recieved yet they're either heavily adjusted beyond what the fanbase liked or simply ignored.
A handful of posters on Enworld and Reddit ≠ "the fan base." Just because like 10 or 11 loid online people really like or dislike a particular UA is not indicative of how the survey of thousands of fans will hash out. Quite seperate, based on what I've seen.

Remove ads

Remove ads