• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Reef

Hero
I'm not sure that's what the feat says:

Mastery Property. Your training with weapons allows you to use the Mastery property of one kind of Simple or Martial weapon of your choice, provided you are proficient with it. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can change the kind of weapon you chose to another eligible kind.

I'm having trouble parsing that last sentence.
7th level, and then 13th:

7TH LEVEL: WEAPON EXPERT You have honed your use of weapons to an art. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can choose one of the kinds of Mastery weapons you're using and replace its Mastery property with another Mastery property. The chosen kind of weapon must qualify for the new property. For example, you could replace the Longsword's Flex property with the Push property. This property change applies only for you, not for others, and the change ends for you when you finish your next Long Rest.

13TH LEVEL: WEAPON ADEPT You are a master of weapons. When you use your Weapon Expert feature on a kind of weapon, you can give that kind of weapon two properties rather than one, but you then use only one property at a time; whenever you make an attack roll against a target with that kind of weapon, you decide which of the two properties applies to that attack. You make this decision before the attack hits or misses. For example, you could apply the Push and Topple properties to Longswords, and whenever you hit a target with a Longsword, you decide which of those properties to use against the target.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I'm not sure that's what the feat says:

Mastery Property. Your training with weapons allows you to use the Mastery property of one kind of Simple or Martial weapon of your choice, provided you are proficient with it. Whenever you finish a Long Rest, you can change the kind of weapon you chose to another eligible kind.

I'm having trouble parsing that last sentence.
Let’s say you took Mastery for glaives, halberds, and pikes. Then, in your adventures, you find a magic greatsword, and you’re like, “gee, I really want to use this, but none of my masteries apply to it.” You can just take a long rest and trade in your glaive mastery for greatsword mastery if you want.

Reef

Hero
Let’s say you took Mastery for glaives, halberds, and pikes. Then, in your adventures, you find a magic greatsword, and you’re like, “gee, I really want to use this, but none of my masteries apply to it.” You can just take a long rest and trade in your glaive mastery for greatsword mastery if you want.
And boy, I’m glad to see it. I like the idea of specializations, but not if it locks people in too strongly. Nothing worse than finding the wrong magic weapon :)

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I disagree with your analysis. Also I think it’s weird to read coming from you, the person who has consistently (and in my analysis, correctly) described the monk as the half-casting version of the warlock.
You are right, the Monk is a half-caster in 2014 (60 Ki points at 20 assuming a maxed out day, as opposed to 68 Spell points for a Paladin/Ranger/Artificer), while the 2014 Warlock has 84 Spell points at 20 assuming a mixed out day, as opposed to 133 for the normal full casters. So, ignoring Mystic Arcanum and Invocations, a Warlock is actually a 2/3 Slot caster with a 5th Spell Level limit. So, yes, my mistake, this is a major recalculation, but the extra spaces for more Slots (like the Subclass Spells and various Invocations) do still give this Warlock room to be a much more serious Spellcaster than other half-casters.

Ondath

Hero
I'll keep my detailed comments to the feedback survey, but I just want to say that the whole process of spell customisation is ridiculous.

1- Cast Modify Spell on a spell
2- Immediately use your reaction to cast Create Spell, then you have to spend one hour meditating on the spell (but that one hour is not the casting time!)
3- Once the 1 hour has passed, cast Scribe Spell within the next 10 minutes to add the modified spell to your list.

And why is this process mediated through spells when class features could do?

Even on this incredibly niche thing, I highly prefer Level Up's implementation of customising spells through downtime.

I feel like this update has a pile of bad ideas under which hide 1-2 good ideas.

The weapon mastery system looks fun though, ngl.

The fact that you can't Cleave with a Greatsword is nonsense. I will probably homebrew these Masteries, so you can pick which one you want for your weapon, within reason, and can have multiple of them.

If I'm misunderstanding how this works, let me know.
Fighter 7th ability is Weapon Expert that let you change masteries.

I think I'd rather drop fighting styles and lean into masteries harder.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I am upset. I came to hope that fighter would be better and the mastery is so basic and little and the 'scaleing' is a joke
the warlock didn't get hit with the nerf stick it fell out of the nerf tree hitting every branch on the way down
the wizard now has to cast spells to copy spells
the warlock now has cantrips only it can have instead of class features. I wonder if that last two is for bards to steal?

Remove ads

Remove ads