• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New One D&D Playtest Includes 5 Classes & New Weapon Mastery System

Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard

The latest playtest packet for One D&D has just landed, and features five classes (Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard) and the new Weapon Mastery system.

In this new Unearthed Arcana document for the 2024 Core Rulebooks, we explore material designed for the next version of the Player’s Handbook. This playtest document presents the rules on the Weapon Mastery property, updates to weapons, new and revised spells, several new feats, and five classes: Barbarian, Fighter, Sorcerer, Warlock, and Wizard. You will also find an updated rules glossary that supercedes the glossary of any previous playtest documents.

Weiley31

Legend
I do kinda wish they would add the Designer Notes: Class Updates to the prior UAs or what not.

I need to know what to nab from the 2014 classes and the new class updates for proper fixing/necessary changes.

whimsychris123

Adventurer
I think they need to come out with a basic version of the game. I guess that's what the starter sets are for, but I'd like to see a dedicated rulebook for beginners.

I fear this new version, with its extra feat at 1st level and the various weapon properties, will turn off new gamers with the extra complication. Look at the weapons table from a newcomer's perspective. It has damage type, properties, and now mastery. It looks much more overwhelming for someone trying to determine the physical difference between a d8 and a d10.

I am not such a player, as I have played every edition of the game. However, having just tried to get into Pathfinder 2e, I found that I'm someone who appreciates simplicity over complication. I feel the same stories can be told but with faster combat and fewer barriers to entry.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
As for the document.

I see damage on a miss is back (with graze).

Personally, I like it -

Let's see if a % of people's heads (figuratively) explode like they did when damage on a miss was introduced in 4e.
I wish it was more along the lines of, "If you miss your attack by 1 or 2, you instead hit for ability score bonus damage." People can miss with a great sword no matter how skilled they are.

Remove ads

Remove ads