• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New Luck spell - opinions requested.

nonamazing

Explorer
I've always been vaguely disappointed with most Luck spells and effects. Many of them just grant you a re-roll or a generic luck bonus that applies to everything within a given period. But I've always felt that Luck should be something that doesn't appear until you really need it. In other words, I've been dissatisfied with the timing of other Luck-type spells. So I came up with the idea for this one:

Appropriate Luck
Universal
Level: ?
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 full round
Range: You or one willing creature
Duration: 2 hours/level
Saving Throw: Will (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes

The next time the target of this spell would fail an attack roll, a skill check, or a caster level check by exactly one point, they are granted a +1 luck bonus, thus turning the failure into a success. Once the spell's bonus has been used, it's duration immediately ends.

For every five levels the caster possesses, the possible luck bonus increases by 1. For example, a 10th level wizard would be able to access up to a +3 luck bonus via this spell. When the target of the spell would fail any roll by exactly three points, the bonus would then activate, ending the spell. The caster of the spell may choose to set the exact bonus the spell will provide upon casting, up to and including the maximum possible bonus the caster can access. The aforementioned 10th level wizard could cast appropriate luck to provide a +1, +2, or +3 bonus.

I'm not sure what level to make it--any suggestions? And is it maybe a little too metagamey? I'd be happy to hear what anyone thinks of it.

Last edited:

Vraister

First Post
I would tone down the duration to 10min/lvl and make it first level.
Compare it to Guidance. It also grants a +1 (competence bonus?)to one save, attack or skill check and last 1 minute. With shorter duration your spell is just slightly better.

Vraister

DaveStebbins

First Post
I like it. For some reason it strikes me as a second-level spell. I like the longer duration, the spell is like a guardian angel watching out for you. Maybe as a second level spell it would change the first roll within two by adding a +2 bonus.

-Dave

CRGreathouse

Community Supporter
Giving a +1 luck bonus the first time it's needed is effectively the same as providing a +1 luck bonus until after it's first needed.

I'd peg the spell at 1st level, I think.

nonamazing

Explorer
I like the longer duration. My idea was that a wizard could cast it on themselves early in the morning, and then have a 'cushion' of good luck that would be around all day.

I added in some more details (following Baronovan's suggestions, thank you), and decided to make it somewhat scaleable (so that the spell is still useful at higher levels). I'm thinking that it might need to be a 2nd-level spell, but I'm not quite sure.

Do you think it's too restrictive, in that you have to fail a roll by a certain amount exactly before the spell kicks in? Should I just make it so that the next roll you fail by an amount up to the possible bonus recieves the effect? I don't really want to let the player choose when the effect kicks in (because we often don't get to choose our own luck) but maybe it would be a better spell if I did.

Cyberzombie

Explorer
The spell is, I think, more useful than most luck spells. It has a good duration and a very specific use. Even though the bonus is small and one-time-only, I'd say 2nd level would be a good choice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads