• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

3PP Release New Free Release - Beginners Guide to Enchanting

TheRoguesCollection

third-party publisher
This free short supplement provides rules for your players to enchant their gear and items into magic items. Check it out, feel free to give feedback for future revisions, and enjoy!

The rules provide an compelling (potentially cheaper) route to magical items by crafting them yourself! Go on quests to track down the Rare Crafting Components so you can create enchantments the old-fashioned way.

A Beginners Guide to Enchanting - The Rogue's Collection | DriveThruRPG.com
coverv5.png

Last edited:

xiphumor

Legend
Erm... this is kind of covered already? :-/ There's more in the PDF. All the items are costed up already.

What do you do differently over the existing rules? :)
I grabbed it since it was free. It sort of sounds like a crafting system, but the wording of it is really confusing, and I don’t see any reason why I would use this over the official rules. The one good part is a d100 table of possible defects for magic items.

TheRoguesCollection

third-party publisher
The rules provide a way to craft magic items manually using the components listed for each item, rather than just paying for enchantment, which is essentially just a more expensive store.
The simplified formula is: rare component + mundane item + time + some gold, then an arcana check.

The rules provide an a more interesting route (potentially cheaper) to magical items (see xanathars for O5E for a similar concept) than just paying a large lump sum of gold to buy it, instead tracking down a rare crafting component which A5E already provides for all their magical items (ex: Heart of a Shadow Dragon) either through a quest or circumstantial loot.

The description for the rules both here and on DtRPG have been beefed up to explain this a little more clearly.

Last edited:

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
I grabbed it since it was free. It sort of sounds like a crafting system, but the wording of it is really confusing, and I don’t see any reason why I would use this over the official rules. The one good part is a d100 table of possible defects for magic items.
Ooh... I do like me a nice defect table. That could be fun if you've got critical failures in. I expect one could probably mix and match this with the vehicle rules and make better use of the "ramshackle" property.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
The rules provide a way to craft magic items manually using the components listed for each item, rather than just paying for enchantment, which is essentially just a more expensive store.
The simplified formula is: rare component + mundane item + time + some gold, then an arcana check.

The rules provide an a more interesting route (potentially cheaper) to magical items (see xanathars for O5E for a similar concept) than just paying a large lump sum of gold to buy it, instead tracking down a rare crafting component which A5E already provides for all their magical items (ex: Heart of a Shadow Dragon) either through a quest or circumstantial loot.

The description for the rules both here and on DtRPG have been beefed up to explain this a little more clearly.
These rules also exist in A5e. Check out pg 158 of the SRD. A5ESRD — Advanced 5E System Reference Document It's in Trials and Treasures although the below link may take you straight to it. :)

I really like the formula you provide, it shows you're thinking along the right lines to make something good for Advanced Fifth Edition. As a 5e product your work is fantastic and I'd thoroughly recommend it as such!

These rules also exist in A5e. Check out pg 158 of the SRD. A5ESRD — Advanced 5E System Reference Document It's in Trials and Treasures although the below link may take you straight to it. :)

I really like the formula you provide, it shows you're thinking along the right lines to make something good for Advanced Fifth Edition. As a 5e product your work is fantastic and I'd thoroughly recommend it as such!

specifically, it's page 158 of section 18: enchanted gear (which is the link at the end).

TheRoguesCollection

third-party publisher
Figures that those rules had to be somewhere! I had looked around quite thoroughly for them ahead of time to no avail. Either way, it was a fun project and good practice for future work. Have fun with the defect tables and such provided. Expect more fun stuff popping up in the future, I've already made some significant progress on my next release, and I'm gonna make sure its a good one, for the first release as a Verified DtRPG publisher.

PJ Coffey

PJ Coffey (they/them)
Figures that those rules had to be somewhere! I had looked around quite thoroughly for them ahead of time to no avail. Either way, it was a fun project and good practice for future work. Have fun with the defect tables and such provided. Expect more fun stuff popping up in the future, I've already made some significant progress on my next release, and I'm gonna make sure its a good one, for the first release as a Verified DtRPG publisher.
Hey congratulations on getting verified! Big step! :) Looking forwards to seeing more of your work! :)

Remove ads