• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

NEW FEAT: Split Shot

Voldrath

Explorer
Split Shot

Prerequisit
Point Blank Shot, Precice Shot, Dex 13+,BAB+6

As an attack action (with a bow) you may loose two arrows with a single attack. Make an attack roll for each arrow at a -5 penalty. theyre target(S) must be within the same 45 degree arc (1/8 circle). You suffer an additional -2 per range incriment with these attacks.

I'm pretty shure somebody's already thought of something like this. But I haven't seen it if they have and i thought it needed done. Let me know what you think, coments and sugestions welcome. Unless I don't like them.:D

[edit] changed to attack action, added BAB+6 prerequisit

Last edited:

AGGEMAM

First Post
Hey, I need new feet as well since they smell kinda bad !

In what way does this feat differ from Rapid Shot, except being much worse ?

^
You can use "split shot" as a standard action. You need a full-attack action to use Rapid Shot. This means that you can move and still fire a split shot, or fire a split shot with an extra partial action (from haste and the like).

AGGEMAM

First Post
^

Oh yeah. Of course, that goes against a fundamental D&D rule, saying 'only one attack allowed with a standard action'.

Crothian

First Post
Personally, it's the -5 on each shot that's the killer. That really makes the feat only useful at higher levels. The two shots for a standard action would be nice at lower levels, once you get high level most archers take the full round action to unload many arrows.

AGGEMAM

First Post
Crothian said:
Personally, it's the -5 on each shot that's the killer. That really makes the feat only useful at higher levels. The two shots for a standard action would be nice at lower levels, once you get high level most archers take the full round action to unload many arrows.

Or take the Improved Rapid Shot feat, which is the same as rapid shot except that it gives you two extra attacks, and all attacks are at -5, it requires the rapid shot and a bab of +6 or more.

N Hammer

First Post
The -5 does help to offset the 'firing 2 shots as a standard action' thing...I would also add that you need Rapid Shot to the prerequisites..

Voldrath

Explorer
Follow Up

Ok I was out all weekend so please forgive the delay.
I was in a hurry so I didn't explain as well as I should have.
Basicly you notch 2 arrows instead of 1; ala Robin Hood.

First off change "standard action" to "attack action"
I also added BAB+6 to the prerequisits.

Youre not realy making 2 attacks in a standard action, youre
firing 2 arrows with the same attack.

I didn't use rapid shot an a req because it relies on focus not on speed.

Thanks for your responses.

kreynolds

First Post
Re: Follow Up

Voldrath said:
Youre not realy making 2 attacks in a standard action, youre
firing 2 arrows with the same attack.

Actually, it would be better to say that this feat allows you to take two attack actions at the same attack bonus in the same amount of time it would take you to take a single attack action.

Wow...I've never seen "take" that many times in a single post. :D

AGGEMAM

First Post
If make the following changes it would be balanced and in key with other D&D rules.

---

Split Shot [General, Fighter]

Prereq's: Point Blank Shot, Precise Shot, Dex 13+, BAB +6 or more

With a bow you may loose two arrows with a single attack, each arrow has -5 penalty to attack. You can shoot at up to two targets no more than 30 feet apart.

---

Let me explain:

'with a single attack' means it follows the rules of multiple attacks with single attack, ie only the first one to hit gains bonus damage.

'no more than 30 feet apart' is a common limiter in D&D whereas measuring degrees is not.

Last edited:

Remove ads