• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

New drug blocks HIV from entering cells

Kemrain

First Post
This is excelent news. I hope this research pan out and we soon have a safe new drug on the market to combat HIV and AIDS. Maybe we'll have this thing beat soon. Best of luck, Kumamoto U.

- Kemrain the Hopeful.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Not to put to much of a downer on this posting, but not all HIV uses the CCR5 protein to enter cells, although the ones that do are more prevalent. Some virus strains use the CXCR4 protein for cell entry instead and some research indicates that these strains may actually produce faster mortality than the CCR5-using strains.

In addition, keep in mind that a 40 person trial is by no means definitive. Side effects may show up in a larger population or with longer term use.

It is a good advancement, but more still needs to be done to put an end to this disease.

MaxKaladin

First Post
cuteasaurus said:
Yeah, if I'm not mistaken...they're playing off the reason that 1 in 10 caucasian ppl is "immune" from HIV infection...
I hadn't heard anything about this. I thought everyone was vulnerable.

Anyway, I wonder what the implications of this are. Does this lead to a vaccine to prevent people from getting AIDS in the first place? Can it be used to cure someone already infected? I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant about the exact mechanics of the disease.

MaxKaladin said:
I hadn't heard anything about this. I thought everyone was vulnerable.

Anyway, I wonder what the implications of this are. Does this lead to a vaccine to prevent people from getting AIDS in the first place? Can it be used to cure someone already infected? I'm afraid I'm a bit ignorant about the exact mechanics of the disease.
I don't think it's an immunity, just that certain populations are statistically slightly less likely to contract the disease, probably due to some quirk of genetics. I'd say it's not likely to be publicized since they don't want people endangering their lives from overconfidence, on the statistical chance they have a slightly improved resistance.

I know it has been well established that there are a handful of people documented with an outright, apparently genetic immunity to the disease. I recall it first being isolated with an American housewife. Her husband was gay and caught the disease while being unfaithful to her. He eventually gets full blown AIDS, but in the years in between they have repeated unprotected contact. She panics, and is tested negative. After hundreds of contacts, no infection. Once researchers were looking, a handful of other cases were found where people who had been exposed countless times had been completely negative, leading to the conclusion that there is some mutation of the immune system in rare cases that leads to an immunity, and like with any disease, in a large enough population you get survivors or subjects with an immunity.

What this medication does, is it blocks the CCR5 receptor, which normally is how the HIV virus enters the individual cells of the body. Thus, the virus cannot enter the cells and reproduce, and the immune system can flush the virus from the body as a foriegn entity, since the immune system is not yet compromised. Apparently in the short term the drug has virtually no side effects, but since that receptor is used by the body in the normal operation of the immune system, if it is blocked too long, the immune system begins to fail.

Thus, it's not a one-dose-and-you're-immune deal like a vaccine, and since it can only temporarily stop the virus from multiplying in the body it's not very useful for people who are infected and they have a very high count of the virus in the body, it appears best as a countermeasure to contact with the virus to be used as soon after initial exposure as possible. Still, it is quite a breakthrough and the fact it has even made it through the first phase of human testing is quite a big step.

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
Actually what they found was that there is a certain population with a mutant form of the CCR5 receptor. If a person is homozygous (has two copies) of the mutant form of CCR5, they actually are immune to the HIV strains that use the CCR5 receptor to enter cells - the virus is incapable of entering the CD4 cells and causing infection. If a person is heterozygous (has one mutant copy and one normal copy) then the have a delayed onset of the disease - it takes the virus longer to enter the CD4 cells. Because there are other strains of the virus out there that don't use this protein, researchers and officials are careful about touting this knowledge for fear that people will think that they don't have to worry as much about HIV infection.

This knowledge will not lead to a vaccine of any kind unless somehow someone cracks the secrets of genetic modifications such that we could alter a person's CCR5 receptors to the mutant form, and even then it would take a lot of work to be sure that by modifying that receptor you aren't just setting people up for other problems, such as possibly an overall weakened immune system.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
So basically, they should put this drug in jell-o shots, so you won't get AIDS while you're stupid.

-- N

glass

(he, him)
IIRC, the same gene also makes you immune or resistant to bubonic plague.

While it is very rare generally, there are some quite dense populations in rural villages that survived The Black Death (such as Eem(sp?)).

glass.

Last edited:

Remove ads