• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D (2024) New D&D Edition's Player’s Handbook Cover Reveal

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

Game Informer has revealed the cover to the 2024 Player’s Handbook.

The cover features a gold dragon behind the old-school D&D characters Strongheart the paladin, Mercion the cleric, Elkhorn the dwarf fighter, and Molliver the thief. Ringlerun the wizard is absent (then again he got his showcase on one of the 1E AD&D Player's Handbooks), but a drow mage appears to have joined the party!

IMG_3566.jpeg

I'm loving the new 5e24 cover art. It definitely feels old school and reminds me of the 2e covers. I also thought they weren't going to do alt covers for the initial print run?

Just wanted to add, I really dig the colour choices here. It just gives me the old school vibe. I'm jealous I can't be a kid again and discover this book for the first time.

Last edited:

Lidgar

Gongfarmer
I think the new one tells a story just fine.

Our heroes stand atop the parapet of a keep, and they're in trouble. Gold Dragon to the rear, Red dragon ahead of them, and the legion of kobolds who worship the dragons at their flanks. They're in a tight spot, and their only hope is each other.

It honestly looks like the visualization of your typical "You won't believe what happened in last night's session" story.
And on the back cover we see there's additional heroes actually riding on the back of the gold dragon.

I think the story/theme is fine, if a bit uninspired. I get what they were going for - it's the PHB, so let's focus on iconic characters looking heroic.

Personally I'd prefer if they made the enemy they were fighting more prominent. And instead of a red dragon, it was Tiamat...

TiQuinn

Kinda reminds me of the 2e PHB in terms of composition and the fighter in particular.

If I’m really honest, Arcadia’s monthly cover art blows this away.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
And on the back cover we see there's additional heroes actually riding on the back of the gold dragon.

I think the story/theme is fine, if a bit uninspired. I get what they were going for - it's the PHB, so let's focus on iconic characters looking heroic.

Personally I'd prefer if they made the enemy they were fighting more prominent. And instead of a red dragon, it was Tiamat...
Per the article, that's what Jacobsen is doing with the DMG: highlight a villain or villains looking badass.

Heck, it would be awesome if it was the reverse of this conflict.

Since the other heads would be offscreen, you could interpret it as Tiamat if you wish.

Superchunk77

Adventurer

I didn't even notice the red dragon in the bottom left. Still, a rather boring piece.

Remove ads

Remove ads